About NewSchool of Architecture & Design: NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) is a globally recognized and awarded design university known for its forward-thinking professors, an inspiring campus community, and top industry connections and collaboration opportunities.
NewSchool is seeking a part-time, Evening Library Technician that will work closely with the librarian, student library assistants, administrative staff, faculty, and students providing library services that support NewSchool’s educational objectives. They are responsible for daily library operations, patron assistance, and campus community engagement. The Library Technician is also responsible for supervising the library in the absence of the Librarian.
Must be able to work 4:00pm-9:00pm Monday-Friday with flexibility of schedule during NewSchool breaks and during summer quarter.
- Prepare social media posts, videos, bulletin boards, and displays to promote library services and activities.
- Plan and execute library events and activities for the campus community and the public.
- Provide a full range of circulation services, including patron registration and transactions.
- Catalog, classify, and process new materials.
- Monitor library email and live chat.
- Provide patron reference support virtually and in-person as needed, in research, access, database searching techniques, and full text retrieval.
- Assist in Information Literacy and library instruction sessions.
- Coordinate, train and supervise student employees.
- Design, customize and maintain the library web site, research guides and catalog.
- Collect, maintain, and process library billing information and vendor invoices.
- Organize and maintain print periodical and print reserve collections.
- Open and close the library as needed.
- Monitor library usage.
- Process and record fines and periodical subscriptions.
- Assist in collection development and evaluation projects as needed by gathering and organizing data.
- Maintain the library in the Librarian’s absence.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
- Minimum one year experience working in a library or equivalent setting (i.e., library vendor or consortium) required; experience working in technical library services preferred.
- Bilingual speaking abilities preferred.
- Familiarity with library management and web editing software
- Understanding of effective search strategies and the Dewey Decimal System
- Understanding of and familiarity with social media as a tool for engagement
- Ability to communicate effectively with and work well with a diverse staff and user population
- Ability to perform effective customer service, both virtually and in-person
- Ability to train and to supervise the activities of peer staff or student workers
- Ability to think logically. Analytical and problem solving skills
- General knowledge of institutional policies and procedured
- General knowledge of library services and their availability
- General knowledge of pertinent functional practices and procedures
- Basic computer knowledge and skills including accurate keyboarding.
Reports To: Librarian
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Normal office conditions. Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions, as necessary.
NewSchool of Architecture & Design is an equal opportunity, at will employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.