WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
6AM is redefining how communities engage, communicate, connect and experience their cities. We’re rapidly growing our team and digital products, and expanding our team across current and future markets. We’re eager to find energetic, curious and driven multimedia storytellers that can effectively create dynamic daily content about our ever-evolving cities. 6AM is for highly energetic performers who thrive off a fast-paced work environment and seeing the direct impact of their work. Join us as we build upon our growing network of cities, continuing our vision of establishing the most relevant modern local media brand.
This is a remote position based in Asheville, NC.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Your responsibilities as a local editor include planning, writing, editing and publishing the most relevant, engaging and conversational daily content about your city. This includes producing and managing daily content for the newsletter, website + social media, strategizing for audience growth, assisting in writing sponsored content relevant to your market, executing on engagement tactics and more as assigned. You will be the expert in your market and will be seen as a local influencer. Passion for your local city, excellent news judgement, competitive spirit + interest in innovative media is a must.
As a local editor, you are encouraged to try new things, be a creative thinker, and be empowered to follow through with the ideas you bring to the table to best serve in helping readers be the most educated and engaged citizens of your city.
- Brainstorm and deliver hyper-local, timely original content. The ability to identify and produce relevant content in a fast-paced environment is a must.
- Produce content primarily consisting of brief daily conversations that reflect breaking news while also creating and maintaining local features and city guides.
- Curate news, lifestyle and events-based content from local news outlets and social influencers. Plus, being able to summarize into short-form, original content for newsletter, web and social media.
- Be an expert in distilling the important points of a larger story so our readers can stay informed everyday through our unique curation model.
- Discover exceptional content before it goes mainstream.
- Have an unbiased approach to content creation. Our brand is objective, we inform our readers.
- Deliver publish-ready, error-free content and in a simple, conversational format.
- Bring engagement into everything you do. You’ll be activating the audience through surveys, polls and questions, replying and following up with readers daily. We continually work to have a conversation with our readers.
- Be the example of an informed + engaged citizen: attend community events, be in the know when it comes to local news + be a leader in civic development of your region.
- Publicly represent the brand, as a role model of the company’s core values.
- Be the community manager of the brand’s social channels. This includes being the face of Instagram stories, curating reader photos for our Instagram feed, taking original photos + video, replying to DMs, being the first to re-share breaking news, and more.
- Be able to compose compelling and attractive photos of events, food, and empty warehouses that are soon-to-be breweries. Photo and video content is key to driving brand engagement.
- Support creation of sponsored content that achieves a balance of brand guidelines and aesthetic.
- Assist in creating goodwill with partner brands; brainstorming creative ways to elevate partners on social media and in the newsletter.
- Manage 1-2 interns, coaching on content and voice for the daily newsletter.
- Be a team player. Each member of our team has the same goal, and working together is integral to achieving it.
- Be ready to hustle. In order to be relevant and responsive, we know that working in media is more than a typical 9a.m. - 5p.m. job.
- Act as our eyes and ears, always seeking out new media trends and technology to help us continue to innovate the business.
- Own your content. Creating relevant, timely, and clean content for the newsletter, web and social media, will set you up for success. You will be empowered to take ownership and should be proud to sign your name to the newsletter every day.
WE’D BE FIRED UP IF YOU HAVE SOME OF THESE TRAITS
We are looking for team members with a strong + diverse knowledge of content relevant to growing communities, established community + editorial relationships and a track record of success in digital media.
Interest. In escaping traditional media models, with a desire to explore new story formats and create incredible short-form content with a talented team of content creators, managers and leadership alongside you.
Personal Brand. Driven, confident, self-starter, passion, humility, sense of humor, and grit. Ownership of your brand, your opinion and your voice.
Know How to Hustle. Seek out new ways to think, filter + innovate; lead the charge, report results, and do it all over again.
Be in the Know. Know who your audience is, what they want to hear, where they’ll be seeking the information, why they’ll want to engage and when to tell them the story.
Tech Acumen. A solid understanding of social media, email campaigns, data + analytics, CMS experience and social media management would be a plus. Show us what we’re missing!
Team Player. Outgoing individual who portrays enthusiasm while learning and working with others.
WE’RE PUTTING OURSELVES ON THE LINE
- Full-time, competitive salaried position, and benefits.
- Our cities are known as great places to live, work, and play… Our office is, too.
- Leading in tech. We’re creating the future of local media, and provide the newest technology to our staff.
- Set you up for success. We’d love to pick up the tab for anything that supports career development.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, physical/mental disability, severe/morbid obesity, medical condition, military/veteran status, genetic information, marital status, ethnicity, alienage or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons. Those applicants requiring accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should contact a management representative.