OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven Assembly Integration and Test team is seeking a bold and dynamic Structures Liaison Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Structures Liaison Engineer who will primarily be responsible for being the liaison between the Assembly, Integration and Test GSE (Ground Support Equipment) development team and Structures team to support the development of GSE that interfaces with the Axiom flight hardware assemblies and subassemblies. This professional will manage GSE development with vendors and make sure the proposed solutions meet the requirements and needs of the structures team. They will be responsible for Interface Definition and Interface Control documentation associated with GSE, flight hardware, and Axiom’s flight hardware production and assembly infrastructure.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Structures Liaison Engineer will have ownership of the interactions between Axiom and specific GSE Vendors.
• Coordinate with Subsystem Subject Matter Experts and AI&T Team to define requirements and develop solutions for subsystem-related GSE (e.g. power carts, fluids carts, in-process testing equipment, etc.)
• Work closely with the GSE vendor to assure GSE meets structural, operational and assembly-related requirements, interfaces are adequate, and solutions are efficient.
• Manage GSE lifecycle requirements, including but not limited to periodic inspection/maintenance, transportation and handling plans, utilization plans, training.
• Prepared to travel (domestically and internationally) as required to ensure project success
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Structural or Mechanical Engineering or related field required
• Minimum 5 years’ experience designing space flight hardware, or similar role
• Experience with the design and utilization of Ground Support Equipment.
• Experience with space flight hardware fabrication, inspection, integration and transportation
• Proficient in Solid Works
• Experience with Agile methodology
• Out of the box thinker
• Capable of meeting deadlines
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Work on own, as required and able to use your own initiative
• Excellent organization, communication, and leadership skills
• Capable of handling multiple projects at the same time
• Safety conscious
• Resourceful, versatile and creative problem solver
• Ability to prioritize and adapt in a dynamic work environment
• Ability to contribute to the growth of the Axiom organization
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.