Overview: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station
Summary: As a Summer 2021 Engineer Intern you will participate in learning opportunities designed to expose students to multiple disciplines in the following areas ranging from: Systems Engineering & Integration, Spacecraft Development, Spacecraft Manufacturing, Avionics, Space Flight Structures, Safety & Mission Assurance, Propulsion, Guidance, Navigation & Control, Software Engineering, Electrical Power Systems, In-Space Manufacturing, On-Orbit Research & Development, Mission & Operations Management. At the end of the internship, the student will present the results of their cumulative internship project to the engineering management team. Interns will be supported by key engineering staff and work will be performed under the supervision of experience and senior staff members. The internship will last over the summer for 10 to 12 weeks in duration.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the team with the design and development of special purpose space vehicles and satellites including structural components of aeronautical or aerospace products or systems hardware or software
- Assists the team for the design and development of analytical programs concerned with ground or flight testing, or development of guidance, navigation control, avionics, software, power, environmental control, crew systems or propulsion systems
- Assists the team in conducting experimental tests or analysis on models or prototypes or aerospace systems or equipment
- Observes and participates in testing of models, prototypes, subassemblies, or production vehicles to study and evaluate operational characteristics and effects imposed during actual or simulated flight and space conditions
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate engineering degree program and have at least one semester of school remaining after the completion of the internship
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Must have acquired at minimum sophomore or higher academic standing by the start of the internship is preferred
- Relevant internship experience that demonstrates development of both technical skills as well as leadership qualities is preferred
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without requiring sponsorship for employment visa status
- Ability to manage multiple task and projects effectively, and routinely interact with cross-functional groups
- Professional, confident, driven and dynamic
- Exceptional Interpersonal and communication skills
Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Exhibits application of responsible judgment, including for safety as well as for the planning and execution of projects.
Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office, SolidWorks, C, C++, Python, Ansys, Jira, Jama, Confluence a plus
Axiom Space is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless a reasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will be required to work on-site.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis or race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.