Overview: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station
Summary: The Intellectual Property Attorney will lead the creation and development of Axiom’s patent portfolio and intellectual property. Responsibilities will include developing strategies and creating and implementing processes regarding patent protection and intellectual property, as well as supporting the legal team in the management of commercial and government contracts related to the licensing and development of intellectual property. Must work and interact effectively and professionally with and for others throughout various levels of the organization with minimal supervision.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise business development and manufacturing teams regarding IP risks and IP aspects of contracts of all kinds.
- Think strategically in developing US and international patent portfolios, including managing complex issues of significant financial and legal risk to the company.
- Provide level expertise in IP law, with particular attention to government data rights and commercial licensing issues.
- Collaborate with inventors and evaluate technical innovations for patentability, including conducting brainstorming sessions for the purpose of capturing IP.
- Draft, negotiate and review a variety of commercial supplier, service, and technology agreements in support of multiple business units.
- Support continuous improvement of contract templates, processes, software, workflow, and internal policies.
- Ability to draft and review, and suggest improvements to labor and employment, immigration and other related policies, procedures and guidelines a plus.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
Education & Experience
- Juris Doctorate required from an ABA-Approved Law School including bar registration in Texas or California; and
- Attorney has a minimum of 5 years of legal practice experience, and Attorney has both passed the patent Bar and has a minimum of 2 years IP-specific practice experience.
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering field, aerospace and mechanical engineering highly preferred
- Experience with software and information technology policies and agreements a plus.
Skills & Competencies
- Must be organized and be able to manage large volumes of contracts in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, create, and execute complex written documents; and
- Ability to understand and apply advanced legal and regulatory concepts.
**This person working closely with both our IT department, our R&M department, and regarding both IP and OCI with all Axiom departments, with the following prior experience, not required but considered a plus: HR, Contracts Administration, RFP Management, Export Control, Corporate and Board Matters
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legal documents including contracts, terms and conditions, legal decisions, and professional journals. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of contracts and agreements and focus on details under time constraints. Exhibits application of responsible judgment, including for safety as well as for the planning and execution of projects.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; and designs workflows and procedures.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; and selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; and shares expertise with others.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; and works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through volunteered efforts; follows organizational guidelines for affirmative action, diversity, and expected workplace behaviors; and manages competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations, and uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts the success of the team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; and supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Axiom Space is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless a reasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will be required to work on-site.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis or race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.