OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight
and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental
conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore,
innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in
space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International
Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international
commercial space station.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with software and propulsion engineers to perform all phases of combustion and fluid dynamics analysis of gaseous propulsion systems using 1D, 2D, and 3D analytical tools including computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis with software such as Fluent.
- Develop analysis and test approaches to predict and verify thermal and fluid characteristics of rocket engine components including the injector, chamber, nozzle, and regenerative cooling channels. Participate in post-test analysis of engine-test data and refine analyses to better match test data through physics-based critical thinking.
- Participate in team meetings, technical reviews, design reviews, peer reviews, and problem-solving meetings.
- 5-7 years firsthand experience in the CFD analysis of rocket engines and/or numerical combustion/turbulence modeling.
- Fundamental understanding of the propellant mixing and combustion process within rocket engines.
- Experience with conjugate heat transfer analysis.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of commercial 3D CFD, CAD, meshing, and CFD post-processing software packages.
- Experience with full lifecycle development and analysis of rocket engines from concept to flight.
- Experience with development of regenerative cooling channels.
- Background in thermophysics, CFD theory, conjugate heat transfer.
- Capability to solve complex design problems to tight schedules with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a nimble start-up atmosphere.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless a reasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will be required to work on site.