Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
This position will be responsible for defining and executing the following engineering processes:
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in a collaborative engineering team environment to produce commercial human spaceflight modules
- Perform trade studies for technical solutions, including make/buy recommendations
- Advise, guide, and provide consultation on Materials & Processes requirements for intravehicular (IVA) and extravehicular (EVA) environments, including materials selection, process control and qualification, design for corrosion prevention, and processes specification.
- Provide input to program/project specifications and ensure appropriate materials requirements are incorporated into all program/project specifications at the right level.
- Review project/program documentation and specifications to ensure NASA standards are met with regard to Materials and Processes used in in spaceflight hardware.
- Assess whether standard vendor processes meet M&P requirements, and if not, clearly define changes that need to be implemented.
- Provide vendors with recommendations for qualification and acceptance testing that will properly satisfy verification of requirements.
- Be familiar with metallic and nonmetallic materials specifications, properties, testing
- Provide inspection and manufacturing process support for human space flight systems.
Education & Experience
- 5+ years working in materials and process engineering
- B.S. in Engineering, Math or Science required (graduate degree preferred)
- BS/MS degree in Metallurgical Engineering, or Materials Science a plus
- Experience developing spaceflight hardware including the following materials: metallic, non-metallic, composite
- Demonstrable mastery/success of materials and process engineering
- Knowledge of NASA Standards and material data requirements for spaceflight hardware
Oral and written communication skills
- Confident, driven and dynamic leader adept at team building and management
- Capable of cohesively managing a team of internal and outsourced talent
- Entrepreneurial mindset, eager to solve problems and identify original opportunities
- Shows commitment to inspiring others
- Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
- Can balance speed of innovation with the rigors and discipline required of human spaceflight
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless a reasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will be required to work on-site.