OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Biomedical Engineer (BME) on will be responsible for preflight, inflight, and post-flight mission management, planning, and real-time support.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assist the Medical Mission Manager with preflight mission management including Increment Definition and Requirements Document (IDRD), Medical Operations documentation, On Orbit Summary (OOS), flight rules
· Coordinate generation of preflight and inflight exercise protocols for exercise hardware based on ASCR recommendations
· Assist the Medical Mission Manager with inflight mission management and coordination of private conferences
· Conduct daily plan reviews and advocate for Axiom crew requirements and preferences
· Provide real-time support in Mission Control
· Maintain situational awareness and monitor operations for any constraints that may impact Axiom activities
· Support any anomalies that arise and participate on Failure Investigation Teams (FITs) and in Special Problem Resolution Team (SPRT) activities
· Manage Axiom crew health data, including coordination of downlink
· Participate in postflight mission management, including debriefs
This is a contract position with the potential to convert to full-time employment.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· BS or MS in an engineering or science discipline. Current NASA ISS BME Specialist console certification.
· At least 3 years working as an ISS BME
· Experience as ISS BME Increment Lead
· Demonstrated BME console experience
· Knowledge and awareness of NASA and Medical regulations for astronaut safety and health
· Understanding of flight rules for crew safety. Knowledge of NASA requirements and ability to interface with appropriate NASA organizations.
· Exceptional leadership, communication, and writing skills
· Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
· Excellent communicator who is flexible and accessible
· Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
· Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment