OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Astronaut Strength, Conditioning, and Rehabilitation Specialist will be responsible for development and implementation of a fitness, strength, and conditioning program for Axiom astronauts, including training and exercise protocol prescriptions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Development of the aspects of the concept of operations that pertain to Axiom astronaut fitness, strength, and conditioning with a focus on mission readiness and injury prevention
· Development and implementation of a strength, conditioning, and rehabilitation program for Axiom astronauts throughout the preflight, inflight, and post-flight process
· Training of Axiom astronauts on exercise equipment they will be using in spaceflight
This is a contract position with the potential to convert to full-time employment.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in exercise physiology, kinesiology, athletic training, sports science, exercise science, or physical therapy
· Certified Athletic Trainer or Strength and Conditioning Specialist
· Current or past ASCR experience supporting long-duration spaceflight preferred
· Knowledge, familiarity, and experience working with exercise hardware on the ISS preferred
· Training or experience in musculoskeletal medicine and rehabilitation in astronauts or high-performing athletes preferred
· Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
· Excellent communicator who is flexible and accessible
· Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
· Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment