OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Aerospace Psychologist on will be responsible for the development and implementation of a Behavioral Health and Performance (BHP) program, which includes evaluation and training of Axiom astronauts, psychological support to Axiom missions and crew families, and in-house BHP support to Axiom personnel.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Providing psychological expertise to the development of Behavioral Health and Performance (BHP) aspects in Axiom Medical’s concept of operations
· Supporting BHP screening and evaluation of Axiom astronauts
· Providing BHP training to Axiom astronauts
· Planning and implementing a BHP program for supporting Axiom astronauts and their families throughout the preflight, inflight, and postflight process
· Advising flight surgeons, mission personnel, and managers on BHP issues as needed
· Provide in-house BHP support to Axiom personnel
This is a contract position with the potential to convert to full-time employment.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· PhD or PsyD in Clinical, Counseling or Applied Psychology with at least 5 years of post-degree job experience
· Licensed or license eligible in psychology in Texas
· Experience with selection, training, and operational support of astronauts or high-performing individuals
· Experience with team building and cohesion, employee assistance programs, or crisis management.
· Exceptional leadership, communication, and writing skills
· Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
· Excellent communicator who is flexible and accessible
· Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
· Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment