OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Medical Program Development Flight Surgeon will be responsible for providing medical expertise to the development of Axiom’s medical support program for joint operations with the International Space Station and future independent operations of the Axiom Segment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Providing medical expertise to the development of the concept of operations, flow to launch schedule, flight surgeon checklist, preflight Health Stabilization Plan, contingency plans, and medical packs for launch and landing support
· Development and coordination of medical and behavioral health and performance standards as the Axiom program expands
· Working with other specialists to mature interdisciplinary focus areas for Axiom astronaut support, including musculoskeletal health/exercise, behavioral health, and nutrition.
· Participation in the development of the Axiom Segment, including medical requirements and transition to independent operations
This is a contract position with the potential to convert to full-time employment.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· A degree in medicine (M.D. or D.O.) and completion of an ACGME or AOA-accredited program of postgraduate specialty training
· At least one current American Board of Medical Specialty certification, preferably in aerospace medicine and a clinical specialty (e.g., internal medicine, emergency medicine, family medicine)
· Texas state medical license or ability to obtain one by Spring 2021
· U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency license
· At least 3 years of NASA flight surgeon experience with console certification
· Knowledge, familiarity, and experience working with Soyuz, SpaceX, and/or Boeing human-rated spacecraft
· Training or experience in sports medicine, wilderness medicine, polar medicine, telemedicine, dive medicine, aircraft mishap and accident investigation
· Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
· Excellent communicator who is flexible and accessible
· Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
· Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment