OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Payload Project Manager will be responsible for managing the project development activities of Axiom in-space manufacturing and research client payloads to successfully integrate customer internal and external payloads into the International Space Station (ISS) and the commercial Axiom Station. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience integrating payloads into the ISS following NASA established procedures and guiding both new and experienced users through the process.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Represent Axiom Space as the primary company point of contact for the payload client, managing the client relationship and project throughout its entire life cycle, performing duties which may include:
· Developing and documenting a detailed understanding of the client project including overall requirements, success criteria, and constraints
· Establishing and maintaining overall project schedules tracking budgets, key milestones and deliverables
· Managing all expectations and communication with the client including organization of regular meetings with client to support project development and execution.
· Assisting the client by participating in major payload integration milestones including but not limited to design reviews, operations reviews, flight and ground safety reviews, verification and certification reviews.
· Assisting Axiom in-space manufacturing and research clients in defining and providing various payload data sets including developing necessary safety, logistics, verification and certification documentation.
· Coordinating with engineering team to supply client with Axiom provided hardware and software solutions ensuring that the engineering team is always informed on client and project needs
· Coordinating with operations team to support client development of crew training and mission operations products
· Organize and lead internal payload progress meetings to support payload development schedules, mitigate potential issues and develop customer friendly solutions
· Participate in anomaly resolution when on-orbit anomalies occur during real-time ops
· Support proposal development including task/milestone definition and detailed cost/schedule estimates.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, math or science
· 5-10 years’ performing Payload Integration, preferably for ISS
· Experienced in customer interfacing role
· Experienced in managing projects of different sizes from start to finish
· Good leadership and teamwork characteristics
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Exceptional strategic, creative, interpersonal skills
· Additional languages other than English a plus
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Achievement Focus - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals
· Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures
· Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals. Entrepreneurial mindset, eager to solve problems and identify original opportunities
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment