OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Avionics Hardware Engineer will be responsible for the design, analysis and verification of mission computing hardware.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Work on a dedicated team to design advanced avionics hardware for commercial human spaceflight modules.
· Perform trade studies and selection of avionics components and systems.
· Test and integrate avionics hardware in prototype and flight certification environments.
· Develop avionics hardware requirements and interface control documents for connecting to the International Space Station.
· Communicate with subject matter experts across engineering disciplines and management throughout the avionics hardware development lifecycle.
· Support NASA milestone reviews including PDR, CDR, SDR, FRR, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Math or Science required.
· 3-5 years of experience developing spaceflight or military aircraft avionics hardware.
· Experience with board and system-level avionics hardware test and integration.
· Experience with spacecraft avionics bus architectures, embedded logic, networking, command, control and data handling, sensor interfaces, communication, instrumentation, processors, and other systems for human-rated spacecraft.
· Experience with data bus and communications protocols (1553, Ethernet, USB, RS-422, RS-232, UART, SPI, I2C) to interface with spaceflight hardware.
· Expertise with WiFi, RFID, or Bluetooth communication systems.
· Strong background in lab and hardware-in-the-loop avionics integration and test environments.
· Proficient in the use of oscilloscopes, waveform generators, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, PCB debugging tools, break-out-boxes, and associated lab test equipment.
· Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
· Excellent communicator who is flexible and accessible
· Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
· Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless a reasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will be required to work on-site.