OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The Avionics Engineer will be responsible for the design and programming electrical systems on board the spacecraft, and provide computer system support for all communication, navigation and guidance system and perform testing to ensure that those systems are working properly.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Strong knowledge of standards defined by the FAA and other regulatory agencies
· Prepares detailed report of all the processes including testing, maintenance, repair and other task to proper authorities
· Must demonstrate the design, development and production of avionics systems
· Integrate test system hardware and software development schedules with program and vehicle schedules
· Design aircraft integration solutions for electrical and avionics aircrafts interiors and system components and assist in aircraft testing
· Check and revise technical data to reflect aircraft, engine and avionic component’s current configuration
· Active participant in the repair and maintenance of the spacecraft
· Responsible for design, development, and testing of thermal control components and systems for future space habitats in a hands-on environment.
· Provides accurate modeling of the thermal environment of spacecraft habitats
· Oversees the design and manufacture of hardware that controls the habitat environment
· Conducts tests to verify performance and develop the systems through flight qualification.
· Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and university in Mechanical, Bio-mechanical or Aerospace engineering required
· Masters or PhD preferred
· A minimum of 3 years of related work experience with systems and hardware design and analysis
· Strong knowledge of electronics and electrical circuit
· Experience in identifying problems within the spacecraft and the systems to fulfill safety requirements
· Ability to problem solve
· Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
· Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment