OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in commercial human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate, and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
SUMMARY: The In-Space Manufacturing & Research Business Development Manager (BD Manager) will support the Director of In-Space Manufacturing and Research. The BD Manager will demonstrate an ability to target and convert prospects into clients with their thorough understanding of the Company’s value proposition by cultivating new relationships that are aligned with the company’s needs in order to achieve sales and profitability. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing strategies that lead to the maturation of business verticals in the areas of in-flight manufacturing, microgravity research and space exploration systems maturation with a particular focus on physical sciences and materials engineering supporting growth of the overall low earth orbit (LEO) economy.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Contribute to business development strategies and provides input to business development to achieve required business objectives and revenue
· Recognize new market segments and opportunities for business development
· Perform research in support of sales pipelines and monitors relevant market development activities
· Manage meetings/travel and related logistics for all pipelines including maintaining CRM workflows and sales reporting tools
· Utilize professional selling and business development techniques and knowledge of company offerings to help identify, propose, negotiate and
close enterprise services deals
· Gather customer requirements and work with design and engineering teams to iterate on and improve company offerings
· Work with Marketing team to customize presentations, sales collateral and related content for meetings with research institutions and
corporations interested in manufacturing/research endeavors
· Ensure that internal communications between Operations, Manufacturing and Engineering are maintained effectively so that quality service is
provided to all clients
· Creates technical presentations to demonstrate how products and services will meet or exceed client need
· Identifies and enlists the support of sales specialists, product teams, and management resources as needed
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· MS required, PhD preferred in a relevant Engineering or Physical Sciences field with 5+ year’s business development experience or equivalent
· Experience within target industry sectors across multiple portions of the product lifecycle (concept definition through operations and use)
· Experience with human spaceflight preferred
· Experience with proposal leadership and support (scope definition, task planning, authoring technical/management volumes, Basis–of-Estimate
· Experience working with and proposing to U.S. Government research agencies preferred (e.g. NIH, NASA, DOD, etc.)
· Ability to effectively describe how microgravity affects physical, chemical and biological processes
· Ability to understand the impacts of the outer space environment on spacecraft, research and manufacturing systems installed inside and outside
of pressurized spacecraft modules.
· Ability to effectively translate company’s value proposition into a compelling case
· Ability to understand customer base and to influence them with innovative approaches
· Proficient with some or all of the following software: CRM, SEO, analytics, email marketing, design
· Professional, confident, driven and dynamic
· Exceptional strategic, creative, interpersonal skills
· Additional languages other than English a plus
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and sales presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Achievement Focus - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against
standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals
· Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data;
designs work flows and procedures
· Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market
and competition; aligns work with strategic goals. Entrepreneurial mindset, eager to solve problems and identify original opportunities
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and
comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue;
conserves organizational resources
· Discretion – Some of Axiom’s customers and partners require confidentiality and as such the Sales Associate will be responsible for
coordinating and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information