ROLE: Junior Engineers
JOB TYPE: Internships & Full Time (Exempt)
Overview: Axiom Space is an emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflight answers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate and progress, Axiom strives to make living and working in space commonplace by providing unprecedented access today to the International Space Station while building its successor: the world’s first international commercial space station.
Axiom is recruiting for Junior Engineers as both Interns and Full-Time Hires, to begin in 2020. The Axiom Junior Engineer or Intern will participate in learning opportunities with senior staff as they receive exposure to one or more spaceflight topics, ranging from: Systems Engineering & Integration, Spacecraft Development, Spacecraft Manufacturing, Avionics, Space Flight Structures, Safety & Mission Assurance, Propulsion, Guidance, Navigation & Control, Software Engineering, Electrical Power Systems, In-Space Manufacturing, On-Orbit Research & Development, Mission & Operations Management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Assists the team for the design and development of special purpose space vehicles and satellites including structural components of aeronautical or aerospace products or systems hardware or systems
- Assists the team for the design and development of analytical programs concerned with ground or flight testing, or development of acoustic, thermodynamics, avionics, software, power or propulsion systems
- Assists the team in conducting experimental, environmental, operational, or tests on models or prototypes or aerospace systems or equipment
- Observes and participates in testing of models, prototypes, subassemblies, or production vehicles to study and evaluate operational characteristics and effects imposed during actual or simulated flight and space conditions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Pending Bachelor's degree from a top four-year college or university; or one to two years relevant hands-on activities and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Full-time Junior Engineer applicants must graduate from an undergraduate institution prior to the commencement of employment
- Junior Engineer Interns must complete their junior year or more prior to the commencement of the Internship
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Exhibits application of responsible judgment, including for safety as well as for the planning and execution of projects.
Computer Skills: Knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAD; Dassault Systems CATIA; PTC Creo Parametric; Xilinx TMRTool Design software; C; Microsoft Visual Basic; Verilog; C++; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl; Python; Sun Microsystems Java Development software strongly preferred.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through volunteered efforts; follows organizational guidelines for affirmative action, diversity, and expected workplace behaviors
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed
Axiom Space offers competitive salary, benefits, and total compensation packages.
All applicants must be cleared to work in the US, and roles must meet requirements regarding exposure to restricted or controlled content. Applicants must also pass a background check.
Axiom Space is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equal treatment of all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family responsibility, political affiliation, veteran status or any other prohibited factor, in accordance with State and Federal laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and demands of the job described herein.