Virscio is seeking a highly motivated individual to build and lead our in-house histology and tissue analytics capabilities. The successful candidate will have strong experience in preclinical histopathology related to safety and disease models, ideally in nonhuman primates, with specific experience in ophthalmology and central nervous system analyses. This will involve establishment of the histology lab, develop protocols, writing SOPs, and establishing workflows for the generate of high-quality histology data (including multiple stains and immunohistochemistry) for our internal model development as well as external studies and ultimately recruit and lead a team. Presently, this is a non-GLP program with expectations of becoming GLP soon.
• Standard histology tasks such as tissue processing, embedding, section and H&E staining on formalin fixed and paraffin embedded and frozen tissues from animal models. Performing immunohistochemistry is also required.
• Technical quality control experience is required, especially with stained slides. Problem solving skills will be needed to work through the establishment of new techniques.
• Management of histology lab by ensuring instruments are maintained and calibrated as per manufacturer’s recommendations.
• As part of setup phase, will be responsible for day-to-day functioning of the histology lab by ordering needed reagents and supplies.
• Maintain inventory of tissues, samples, slides as per respective project requirements.
• Establish technical processes, develop protocols appropriate to the project.
• Interact with external pathologists and validate reports.
• Demonstrate an understanding of preclinical disease models for histology related programs
• Technically very strong in all hands-on histology related processes. Should be experienced in imaging of stained slides using an imaging system for transfer to external pathologist or clients
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively between technical teams and clients
• Self-motivated individual with great attention to detail and time management skills to meet deadlines with a first-time-right attitude
• Ability to multi-task and meet timelines in a fast-paced environment
• Proficient in imaging modalities, Microsoft Office.
· This is a client facing position and requires good communication skills.
Required Education and Experience:
• Degree in Biological Sciences; PhD in cell/molecular biology, biochemistry, pathology, or other relevant scientific field of study is preferred
· 8+ years of industry experience in preclinical focused histology laboratory with strong technical knowledge and supervisory experience; GXP experience preferred
· A broad knowledge of the histology laboratory with special emphasis on immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization, as well as a detailed knowledge of sample processing, embedding, sectioning and histochemical techniques
Virscio provides a stimulating work environment in which talented employees expand their expertise and scientific knowledge and contribute directly to the ongoing success of the organization and Sponsor programs. We offer excellent salary and benefits. Virscio is an equal opportunity employer.