Senior Software Engineer
Chicago, Illinois, United States
NinjaHoldings was founded in 2017 by a team seeking to revolutionize the way everyday Americans interact with financial services. Through our CreditNinja and NinjaCard brands, we empower people overlooked by traditional financial institutions to take control of their finances via a full suite of digital banking and lending products, providing incentives and rewards along the way as we guide them on a path to financial improvement. Through our NinjaEdge brand, we help companies better understand their customers by offering a package of bespoke underwriting, fraud detection, and analytics services. With offices in Chicago, Miami, and around the world through the power of remote work, we are a lean and innovative team always seeking like-minded talent to join us in our fight to disrupt consumer finance.
The Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for building new systems, enhancing and refactoring existing systems, integrating with external systems, and performance projects. This person will work closely with PM's, Engineering Leads, and fellow engineers.
This person has built systems from the ground up and had to deal with bad design assumptions and scaling issues. The right candidate has developed good design instincts through a mix of seeing "what not to do" as well as being a "student" of good design.
What You’ll Work On:
You'll be part of a team that works in one of the following areas.
· Underwriting which decides if a customer is approved for a loan
· Loan management system which involves 3rd party integrations and the general state machine of a loan
· Marketing which involves bidding and processing loan applications through multiple marketing channels
· Performance projects involving a mix of application code and interactions with our Postgres DB; business is good and we need to scale.
· You will work closely with your technical lead to shape the overall Engineering vision and roadmap.
What We Are Looking For:
· 5+ years of professional experience as a backend software engineer for non-trivial web applications
· Experience working with Frontend developers
· Strong communication ability to describe complex problems and solutions
· Experience in an object-oriented programing language such as Ruby, Python, Java, etc.
· Experience working with heavy web application development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails
· Extensive experience with data model design for relational databases
Additional Pluses, but not requirements:
· Extensive experience using SQL to investigate non-trivial issues or to create complex reporting
· Strong experience on the Frontend or the infrastructure (DevOps)
· Experience working in Ruby and Python
· Competitive salary and benefits package, including equity
· Casual dress policy
· Fun, fast-paced work environment
· Dynamic start-up culture
· Ability to make an immediate impact in a growth stage company
· Convenient downtown Chicago office located in the heart of the city
· Equal opportunity employer