NinjaHoldings was founded in 2017 by a team seeking to revolutionize the way everyday Americans interact with financial services. Through our CreditNinja and NinjaCard brands, we empower people overlooked by traditional financial institutions to take control of their finances via a full suite of digital banking and lending products, providing incentives and rewards along the way as we guide them on a path to financial improvement. Through our NinjaEdge brand, we help companies better understand their customers by offering a package of bespoke underwriting, fraud detection, and analytics services. With offices in Chicago, Miami, and around the world through the power of remote work, we are a lean and innovative team always seeking like-minded talent to join us in our fight to disrupt consumer finance.
As a Staff Engineer you’ll create the technical strategy for key systems in the platform taking into account our growth in business and our growth in the Engineering department. You’ll ensure our platform scales and is easily extensible given our long term business roadmap. You’ll lead through analysis, design, and collaboration. Equally important, you are a doer. Someone who remains technical because you stay hands on writing code, building tools, or setting up infrastructure when necessary.
You may work in the following Platform Domains; each domain is composed of multiple systems:
- Customer Communication - how we communicate with our customers & potential customers. I.e. email, sms, snail mail
- Identity - managing customer and potential customer information
- Decisions - Decision systems for bidding on marketing leads and automatically making underwriting decisions.
Portfolio Management - Systems responsible for managing the life cycle of our lending and banking products such as integrations to external payment processing systems.
What You’ll Work On:
- Provide architectural leadership across a number of interdependent engineering teams, systems, business departments.
- Connect multiple independent systems to provide discoverable, visible, and clean customer data across marketing, operations, analytics, and product teams
- Partner with business stakeholders to improve the tech stack for all the business needs, including but not limited to: data governance, reporting, and site performance analytics
- Level up your teammates’ technical design and Ruby on Rails skillset
- Contribute to architecture design and code reviews for all key application functional components
- Provide critical thinking, technical innovation and attention to detail when serving as a trusted advisor and mentor to your team
- Support QA, verification and validation activities to ensure system quality, functionality and performance
What We Are Looking For:
- 10-12 years of experience in software development with a focus on designing systems architecture, which includes hands on experience writing code or building infrastructure.
- 8+ years of experience in Ruby on Rails
- Demonstrated experience contributing in an Agile and TDD work environment building SaaS applications in the cloud (AWS)
- You have led projects from inception to completion and have mentored other engineers
- You have an understanding of building modern web apps at scale
- You have built well-documented API's and third-party integrations
- Deep understanding of API design and best practices
- Data driven, analytical, strong communicator, who understands the big picture, but understands the importance of every detail
- Natural problem solver who from the why, and uses first principles to get to a meaningful what and how
Additional Pluses, but not requirements:
- Experience in fintech and lending a big plus
- You enjoy working at growth stage companies and building systems from the ground up
- Exceptional leader with ownership mentality
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including equity
- Casual dress policy
- Fun, fast-paced work environment
- Dynamic start-up culture
- Ability to make an immediate impact in a growth stage company
- Convenient downtown Chicago office located in the heart of the city
- Equal opportunity employer