Founded in 2011, Geolinks is the fastest growing internet service provider in the state. We offer high-speed internet access to businesses, non-profits, and anchor institutions all over California who are looking for a provider that cares about their business and needs. We are a fast-paced, tech-orientated, customer focused company looking for dynamic self-starters who are looking to make an impact. Headquartered in Ventura County our mission is to offer the best company culture around, one that combines respect, collaboration and a “best idea wins” mantra. If you’re looking for a company that wants to hear your innovate ideas as well as a company that is family oriented and believes in work-life balance we’d love to hear from you!
About the role:
The Network Engineer is responsible for deploying, managing, and ensuring stability of the local/wide area network infrastructure technologies to provide high availability, fault tolerance, and scalability to effectively and efficiently support mission critical business systems. Demonstrates a high level of competence in LAN/WAN technologies, routing and switching platforms, troubleshooting critical issues, and coordination of implementation. Represents the Engineering Department working closely with other teams and Engineers in designing, modeling, and implementing new technologies within GeoLinks network. Performs moves, adds, and changes of equipment and systems specifically following the designated change management policies.
What you'll be doing:
· Maintain and Operate Access, Edge and Core Networks consistent with Engineering policy, standards and best practice
· Configure, service and support routing and switching equipment necessary for the delivery of Metro Ethernet, DIA, and DOCSIS Services.
· Troubleshoot and resolve service level and/or critical and system related issues
· Document projects including scope, costs, schedule, testing and terms of delivery to ensure project is completed with the highest level of quality, on time and within budget
· Will participate in an on-call/standby rotation and is expected to respond after hours for service restoration, troubleshooting and/or repair of all necessary equipment
· Mentors and trains other Engineering personnel in key elements of networking systems
· Provides technical guidance to other internal support organizations
· Test and validate all new hardware, software and connections for proper configuration and performance
Who we're looking for:
· Someone who can configure, service and support all core routing and switching equipment necessary for the delivery of Carrier Class Ethernet. This includes all equipment, both active and passive, in the network.
· Someone to test and validate all new core hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance.
· Someone who documents all core alarm points that are being properly monitored and maintain accurate and detailed core circuit design records and drawings. This includes ensuring records are updated for any as built or service restoration changes.
· Someone to assist with the provisioning of all provider edge, customer premise equipment and other related equipment as necessary and directed.
· Someone who can be part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to afterhours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all core equipment necessary for the delivery of Carrier Services. Ensure the customer support team is kept up to date on the progress of all repair and upgrade activities. Also assist service techs in troubleshooting, testing and repair of all last mile and customer premise equipment and other related equipment as necessary and directed.
· Someone who can participate in the creation and review of event postmortem documentation to ensure accurate and meaningful post mortems are created. Review all postmortem documents and implement procedures to minimize future service outages and shorten the duration.
· Someone who can perform scheduled maintenance on all core commercial equipment such as software upgrades and equipment upgrade and assist with such maintenance on the last mile and customer premise network equipment as needed.
Education and Experience:
· A minimum of 5years of data network operations and support experience.
· Industry recognized network certifications is preferred but not required.
· Required – Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of LAN, WAN, and telecommunication equipment, understanding of all OSI layers from application to physical, knowledge of MPLS/VPLS, ISIS, OSPF, BGP, and overlay technologies including VXLAN.
· Required – 3 years of hands-on experience supporting/maintaining Cisco or other major access technology platforms.
· Required – 3 years of hands-on experience using major NMS/Provisioning systems like Solarwinds, Nagios, LibreNMS or other like tools using SNMP/Netflow/sFlow.
· Other duties as assigned