We are a fast-growing construction/manufacturing startup company in the Austin area. We are looking for an energetic Controller & Finance Manager who will plan and direct the accounting and finance operations of the Company. The Controller & Finance Manager will be experienced in handling a wide range of accounting and finance related tasks. They will able to work independently and as a team to define a well-organized infrastructure that will allow for regular reporting to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities. This role is an opportunity to help build our company from the ground up and grow with us.
· Oversees the operations of the Accounting & Finance Departments, which include accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, credit card reconciliations and payroll.
· Oversees training programs and identifies training needs for the Departments.
· Develops and maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implements a system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk.
· Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comport with generally accepted accounting principles.
· Recommends benchmarks and KPIs that will be used to measure the company’s performance in order to collaborate with various leaders to create budgets and goal that will drive departmental reporting and accountability.
· Produces the annual budget and forecasts; reports significant budget differences to management on a recurring periodic basis.
· Provides timely financial analysis, including capital investments, labor and material, pricing decisions, marketing expenditures and contract negotiations that will help the business leaders stay agile in decision-making to maximize profits.
· Provide input to operations team to help develop processes and procedures for inventory management and control.
· In the future, we envision the Company will require annual financial and controls audits by an external firm, which will be managed by the Controller.
· Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements, including sales and use tax
· Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Since this company is a startup, the Controller may be asked to take on accounting duties/responsibilities as needed to ensure that day-to-day accounting procedures are functional. These duties include, but may not be limited to:
· Performs general cost accounting and other related duties in the accounting department.
· Prepares periodic (monthly) balance sheets, income statements, and statements of cash flows.
· Assesses accounting/ERP software solutions and makes a recommendation best suited for current and future business operations.
· Sets up an appropriate chart of accounts for existing operations and maintains the general ledger.
· Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and closes the monthly books.
· Reconciles bank and credit accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks.
· Reconciles customer accounts and manages accounts receivable collections.
· Verifies payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
· As appropriate, coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software system; recommends updates to enhance the accounting software.
· Excellent management and supervisory skills.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent organizational, time management skills, and attention to detail.
· Highly proficient in accounting and tax preparation software.
· Understanding of and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
· Extensive knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks.
· Although the Company has a PEO, must have solid understanding of payroll laws, processes and procedures.
· Strong knowledge of Federal and Texas state payroll laws.
· Must be able to read, analyze and reconcile payroll reports.
· Possess good analytical, problem solving and communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Demonstrate self-initiative while also being comfortable in the role of a team player.
· Understanding of construction and manufacturing accounting methods Comfortable with quick pivots in company needs and strategies
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration required.
· Ten years or more of related experience required.
· Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designation preferred.
· Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
· Able to travel as needed.
· While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
· This is a construction and manufacturing environment; you will be required to safely navigate the factory around tools and equipment.
· You may be required to climb stairs.
Background check required
Work Location: Austin, TX
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off (PTO and generally regarded holidays)