Location: South San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Associate Director, Manufacturing Facilities and Engineering
Nkarta is a publicly traded (Nasdaq symbol NKTX), South San Francisco headquartered, early-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of allogeneic, off-the-shelf engineered natural killer, or NK, cell therapies to treat cancer.
This is an entry level role which will also be key in providing support to the engineering activities related to plant facilities and equipment of a new clinical GMP manufacturing for a leading cell therapy company. You will also have to opportunity of being part of the engineering team to build a manufacturing facility ground up.
· Assist with the coordination and execution of activities concerned with the design, modification and maintenance of equipment and facility.
· Work with quality and manufacturing to ensure low downtime for manufacturing equipment and facility.
· Investigate and troubleshoot issues during routine operations tied to the facility and manufacturing equipment.
· Understand the functioning of different facility/ engineering equipment to setup maintenance and calibration activities.
· Lead the scheduling of maintenance and calibration activities for the clinical facility.
Position Requirements and Education
· Bachelor’s degree preferably in Life Sciences or Engineering related field with 2 or more years of experience in biologics, pharmaceuticals or cell therapy preferred.
· In lieu if a bachelor’s degree, will consider an Associate’s Degree with 4 years of experience in a GMP environment within biologics, pharmaceuticals or cell therapy.
· Strong desire to gain a deep knowledge of pharmaceuticals and biotech production processes and industry.
· Strong aptitude toward problem solving and troubleshooting.
· Proactive person who is a self-starter and looks at identifying problem statements and comes up with innovative and effective solutions.
· Applied knowledge of cGMP guidelines and quality preferred.
· Detail oriented with great communication skills both oral and written.
· Experience in one of the areas preferred: commissioning, qualification, DR/CAPA writing, calibration/maintenance / scheduling.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities for this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The common requirements of an office environment (computers, computer screens, workstations, etc.) apply when not working in or around the laboratory environment. Willing and able to travel up to 10% via car and plane a requirement.
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities, Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial needs.
Working at Nkarta
· The 130+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and improving communications between groups in an early stage start up environment are two areas in which we’re working, here are real anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to work.
· “People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)”
· “Exceptionally talented, committed, *kind* & supportive team”
· “The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.”
· “Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere, and it's here in ample supply, which is great.”
· “It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional knowledge is understood.”
· “We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly and accessible.”
· “Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and running the company was done very well.”
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company’s website