Nkarta Therapeutics is a publicly traded (
We are seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Sr Research Associate candidate to join the Translational Medicine team at Nkarta Therapeutics in supporting the design, development, and optimization of pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and biomarker assays to define parameters associated with CAR-NK cell-mediated clinical responses.
The candidate will have strong cell therapeutic or immuno-oncology development history with extensive hands-on experience characterizing and validating immunological assays with NK and/or T-cells. A thorough understanding and application of flow cytometry and cellular-molecular techniques for studying immunological activity is favorable for this position.
Support the development, validation, and execution of assays for CAR-NK and CAR-T cells PK, PD, safety pharmacology, and combination studies
Support the exploration and implementation of emerging assays for the identification of predictive biomarkers associated with clinical response
Collaborate in a multi-disciplinary research environment including clinical operations, clinical development and computational biology
Draft, review and implement technical documents according to GLP and regulatory requirements including study reports, SOP and development/qualification protocols supporting clinical sample analytics.
Support the development of analytical assays performed by clinical CROs
Perform thorough data analysis, documentation, and communication in group settings
· BS or Master’s degree in Biology-related field with 5 or more years of scientific experience
· Strong background in immunology with a solid understanding of NK and T cell biology is favored
· Preferred Experience in:
o Cell activity and biology methods, including IncuCyte-based cytotoxicity assays; Luminex-based cytokine/chemokine measurement; IHC, Elispot and Immune functional assays including antigen presentation assays
o Virus production, viral transduction, CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing of primary lymphocytes and droplet digital PCR (ddPCR)
· Demonstrated strong problem-solving capabilities with the ability to prioritize tasks to achieve goals
· Ability to work independently and to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
· Embodies the Nkarta culture of empowerment, learning, growing, diversity, psychological safety, and inclusion
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities, Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial needs.
Working at Nkarta
The 130+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and improving communications between groups in an early stage start up environment are two areas in which we’re working, here are real anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to work.
· “People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)”
· “Exceptionally talented, committed, *kind* & supportive team”
· “The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.”
· “Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere, and it's here in ample supply, which is great.”
· “It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional knowledge is understood.”
· “We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly and accessible.”
· “Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and running the company was done very well.”
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company’s website at https://www.nkartatx.com