Nkarta Therapeutics is a publicly traded (
Reporting to CSO, the Head of Pre-Clinical and Translational Research is responsible for leading and managing core functions at Nkarta responsible for in vivo candidate validation, effective conduct of IND-enabling studies, and clinical correlative analyses. The successful candidate will manage a team with capabilities for the development of models and analytics that help elucidate product activity, safety, pharmacokinetics and dynamics, and mechanism of action. This individual will collaborate closely with Nkarta’s discovery, process development, and clinical development groups to integrate translational research into the overall goals of the company.
- Lead efforts to establish and deploy in vivo models for selection and validation of Nkarta product candidates.
- Design and manage key in vivo and in vitro IND-enabling studies for cell therapy clinical candidates
- Develop key methods for identification of clinical biomarkers and correlatives; ensure the appropriate collection, processing, management, and analysis of clinical samples
- Contribute to all relevant regulatory filings, and play a key role in shaping non-clinical regulatory strategy
- Build, retain and motivate a superlative team of immunologists, cell biologists, and animal technicians through recruitment, hiring and mentoring.
- Participate in and lead cross-functional project teams
- Effectively communicate strategy, methodology, progress, and challenges to stakeholders and partners, including senior leadership and board of directors
- Lead activities to identify and manage industry and academic partners for cell therapy discovery and development studies
- Provide an external face to Nkarta through outside speaking engagements, and authorship of conference abstracts and journal publications
- Manage performance and development of entire staff.
- A Ph.D. or MD / PhD in Biology, Immunology, Cell Biology, or related field.
- 15+ years of biology experience in academic and life sciences industry.
- Highly knowledgeable in areas of immune cell biology, immuno-oncology, and cell therapy development
- Demonstrated expertise in cell therapy or immuno-oncology pharmacology and familiarity with regulatory expectations for Investigational New Drugs
- Ability to relate fundamental biological research to its application in the clinic.
- Familiarity with current immunological, molecular, cellular, and genomic techniques, and biocomputational approaches.
- Track record of building, leading, and managing successful teams of biologists & pharmacologists, including BS, MS and PhD’s to discover and translate new potential medicines to treat human disease.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Track record of publications in key biology journals along with excellent presentation record in the field of immunology and immune-oncology.
- Broad reputation within the scientific community.
- Demonstrated passion for science and patients
- Requires independence, self-motivation, and high energy.
- Flexibility to be able to change direction and grow as required in order to evolve the scientific direction of the company.
- Strong scientific leadership experience, including experience leading multi-disciplinary teams.