Nkarta Therapeutics is a publicly traded (Nkarta NKTX symbol), South San Francisco headquartered, early-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of allogeneic, off-the-shelf engineered natural killer, or NK, cell therapies to treat cancer.
Location South San Francisco, CA
Reports to Principal Scientist
We are seeking a highly motivated and highly collaborative Research Associate/Senior Research Associate to join the Analytical Development (AD) team in implementing cell-based assays to characterize Nkarta’s pipeline of cellular immunotherapy products.
· Performs AD assays to monitor cell phenotype and function over time and maintains data bases of all results.
- Runs assays to characterizing material, in-process material, and drug product samples to support Process Development activities.
- Maintains stock of critical reagents and performs bridging studies between lots.
· Performs method development activities using flow cytometry, ELISA, qPCR, immunocytochemistry and other biological techniques.
- Creates, compiles and reviews technical and regulatory documents including but not limited to analytical study data summaries and reports, analytical method development reports, method qualification/validation protocols and reports, standard operating procedures in compliance with regulatory requirements.
· Experience in executing multicolor Flow cytometry experiments as well as analyzing flow cytometry data using FlowJo or other similar platforms is required.
· Experience in cell culture, both primary and cell line, is required.
· Ability to work independently, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
· Highly motivated, organized, and disciplined record keeping; strong attention to detail.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Embodies the Nkarta culture of empowerment, diversity, and inclusion.
· Experience working in or with Quality Control or regulated environments.
· Experience in gene/cell therapy, virus handling, secretome (e.g., Luminex), cell-based assays, immunoassays, ELISAs, droplet digital PCR (ddPCR) and/or qPCR assays in regulated environments is a plus.
· NK cell, T cell, or stem cell expertise preferred.
Education / Background
· Bachelors degree in Immunology, Cell Biology, or related field is required; Masters is preferred.
· At least two years relevant experience in biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry is a plus.
o 1+ years industry Analytical Development experience is preferred.
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities, Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial needs.
Working at Nkarta
The 130+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and improving communications between groups in an early stage start up environment are two areas in which we’re working, here are real anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to work.
· “People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)”
· “Exceptionally talented, committed, *kind* & supportive team”
· “The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.”
· “Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere, and it's here in ample supply, which is great.”
· “It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional knowledge is understood.”
· “We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly and accessible.”
· “Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and running the company was done very well.”
ToTo learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company’s website at https://www.nkartatx.com