Location South San Francisco, CA
Reports to Director, Cell Therapy Development
Nkarta Therapeutics is a publicly traded (Nkarta NKTX symbol)
Nkarta is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative, detail-oriented Sr. Scientist/Scientist to join our Research team. The successful candidate will take part in discovery and IND-enabling activities to bring CAR-therapies to the clinic. They will have a background in immunology, cellular and cancer biology and have the creativity to present new ideas and solve challenging problems. This individual will work independently and with team members to advance the company’s growing pipeline. This role is ideal for an individual who is driven and passionate about cell therapy in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
• Lead efforts to develop next generation CAR cellular therapies in NK and T cells
• Design, develop and execute a broad range of cell based functional and phenotypic assays for characterization of engineered NK and T-cells to accelerate projects in pre-clinical development.
• Conceive, design and perform experiments to test and improve the compatibility of primary CAR NK and CAR T cells in studies and collaborate with Nkarta’s in vivo group for in vivo studies
• Work independently; accurately record, analyze and communicate data to senior staff and team members
• Communicate results and data effectively in team and company presentations
• Collaborate with team members and serve as scientific mentor to Research Associates.
• PhD in immunology or related discipline and 2 or more years of industry experience.
• Strong background in immunology and in-depth experience in the principles and practices of cellular immunology and cell biology methodologies, including primary human/mouse immune cell isolation, culture, differentiation and activation, cell transfection, and viral transduction.
• Expertise in developing and executing in vitro cellular characterization assays including immune cell phenotyping, cytotoxicity (FACS & image based), proliferation, migration, 3D cultures, and cytokine analysis.
• Proficiency in designing and performing complex multi-color flow cytometry is required.
• Experience with NK or CAR-T based cancer therapy is preferred.
• Experience with ex vivo murine immune cell analysis is preferred.
• Ability to work on complex problems where analysis requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors.
• Exercises independent judgment and provides strong scientific rationale in selecting experimental methods, techniques, evaluation criteria for obtaining results and data analysis.
• Strong verbal and writing skills for documentation of data, drafting of technical reports, and communication of progress to supervisor and project teams.
• Ability to multi-task and work independently as well as in collaboration with peers within a fast-paced team environment with a positive outlook and high degree of self-motivation and organization.
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities, Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial needs.
Working at Nkarta
The 130+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and improving communications between groups in an early stage start up environment are two areas in which we’re working, here are real anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to work.
· · “People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)”
· · “Exceptionally talented, committed, *kind* & supportive team”
· · “The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.”
· · “Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere, and it's here in ample supply, which is great.”
· · “It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional knowledge is understood.”
· · “We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly and accessible.”
· · “Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and running the company was done very well.”
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company’s website at https://www.nkartatx.com