Nkarta is a publicly traded (Nasdaq symbol NKTX), South San Francisco headquartered, early-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of allogeneic, off-the-shelf engineered natural killer, or NK, cell therapies to treat cancer.
Position Title: Senior Research Associate/Research Associate – Analytical Development
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Principal Scientist
We are seeking a highly motivated and highly collaborative Research Associate/Senior Research Associate to join the Analytical Development (AD) team in implementing various assays to characterize Nkarta’s pipeline of cellular immunotherapy products, with special focus on genomic analysis.
· Perform genomic analysis (e.g. on-target INDEL gene edit, off-target gene edit, on-target translocation, FISH, etc.) for cell products at different stages
· Collect data from analytical assays and perform data analysis, including troubleshooting
· Maintain accurate and complete records for all results
· Present results at team and company meetings
· Create, compile, and review technical and regulatory documents including but not limited to analytical study data summaries and reports, analytical method development reports, method qualification/validation protocols and reports, standard operating procedures in compliance with regulatory requirements
· Maintain stock of critical reagents and provide general lab support
Support other analytical assay development using qPCR/ddPCR and a variety of cell-based assays
· Experience in basic molecular biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR
· Ability to work independently, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
· Proven organizational and record keeping skills with an attention to detail.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Embodies the Nkarta culture of empowerment, diversity, and inclusion.
· Experience in CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing
· Experience in droplet digital PCR (ddPCR)
· Experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) or TIDE
· Experience in cell culture (both primary and cell lines) and FISH analysis
· Worked with CAR-NKs or CAR-Ts
· Familiarity with Quality Control or regulated environments
Education / Background
· Bachelors or Masters degree in Immunology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or related field
· 2 or more years relevant experience in biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry with 1 or more years in Analytical Development.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities for this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The common requirements of an office environment (computers, computer screens, workstations, etc.) apply when not working in or around the laboratory environment. Car and airplane travel might be requirement of this role.
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities, Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial needs.
Working at Nkarta
The 110+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and improving communications between groups in an early stage start up environment are two areas in which we’re working, here are real anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to work.
· People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)
· Exceptionally talented, committed, *kind* & supportive team
· The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.
· Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere, and it's here in ample supply, which is great.
· It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional knowledge is understood.
· We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly and accessible.
· Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and running the company was done very well.
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company’s website at https://www.nkartatx.com