The Library and Information Resources Network (LIRN) seeks a Library Services Team Lead to join the LIRN Librarian team. This position requires a leader that inspires and motivates colleagues, is adaptive and flexible, has excellent communication skills, is enthusiastic and passionate, and has the ability to engage with LIRN members. The Library Services Team Lead must embrace technology, have a keen eye for detail, and demonstrate excellent project management skills.
The Library and Information Resources Network (LIRN) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit consortium serving education since 1997. We offer our members unrivaled value for resources, a team of caring library experts, and future-focused technology services. Today, LIRN serves over 300 institutions in 43 states, 4 territories, and 7 nations. In addition to negotiating volume pricing discounts on library research databases and applications, providing IT infrastructure for access to licensed content, offering technical support to ensure that library resources are accessible, we also provide remote librarians to augment existing or serve as the primary librarian staff for our members. LIRN Librarians may provide institutions that subscribe to the LIRN Librarian Service accreditation review and readiness services, data for the IPEDS Academic Library Survey, online reference/research support, trainings via live webinars and on-demand video, professional development for faculty, utilizing information literacy and critical thinking methodologies.
Professional Skills and Personal Qualities
- Collaborative Supervisor: Values collegiality and fosters an inclusive, participatory team environment; is a responsive, active listener able to nurture, support, and guide staff; advocates for librarian professional growth; and builds consensus when making decisions.
- Forward-Thinking Planner: Meets and anticipates 21st century challenges; is dedicated to innovation and assists the Director of Library Services & Marketing in managing structure and change via major shifts in departmental growths.
- Relationship Builder: Builds and fosters relationships with institutions that subscribe to LIRN’s Librarian Service.
- Leadership of Library Staff: The Library Services Team Lead will be joining capable and motivated staff. The importance of staff satisfaction and morale is high. It will be important to grow and preserve these strengths and to build on this foundation.
- Training & Innovation: The Library Services Team Lead will assist the Director of Library Services & Marketing in leading the library staff in staying current in emerging trends in the field of Librarianship in higher-education with a strong emphasis on digital and innovative initiatives in higher-education.
Reporting to the Director of Library Services & Marketing, the Library Services Team Lead assists in meeting the overall mission and goals of LIRN’s Library and Marketing department:
- Assists the Director of Library Services & Marketing in library administration, including subscriber onboarding processes, procedural documents, library collateral, statistical reports and analysis, personnel selection, and ongoing assessment of the Library department’s operations
- Serves as Acting Director when warranted
- Participates in, schedules, and oversees online reference shifts, supervising a team of librarians, utilizing a queue based support and ticketing system
- With the direction and support of the Director of Library Services & Marketing, the Library Services Team lead will be successful in project management, exercising the core abilities that are necessary to successfully bring a project from start to finish
- Develops sufficient familiarity with member curriculum and assignments to offer valuable assistance in reference support and curriculum assistance projects
- Oversees the delivery of library database usage statistics, being familiar with COUNTER, vendor proprietary reports, and other data metrics
- Assists the Director of Library Services & Marketing in training new employees, mentoring a team of librarians, and providing other internal training as warranted
- Creates high production quality training and instructional videos and mentors the librarian team in video production processesLeverages the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy in Higher Education, and ability to educate on various research methods and designs
- Participates in and assists the team of librarians in providing instruction via live and prerecorded webinars, focusing on general library orientation content to more advance content supporting the research needs of undergraduate to post graduate students
- With the direction of the Director of Library Services & Marketing, the Library Services Team lead will understand and be able to demonstrate how LIRN resources and services support accreditation and licensing standards related to library services
- Follows compliance policies and procedures; follows state and US Department of Education guidelines; follows licensing and accreditation rules and standards; adheres to all company policies and procedures
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program
- 3-5 years of experience as a Supervisor or Library Manager in higher-education
- Knowledge of academic compliance processes
- Experience retrieving, interpreting, and manipulating title lists, usage reports, and other library-related data sources
- Familiarity with IPEDS, specifically the Academic Libraries Survey (ALS)
- Experience in creating library marketing collateral
- Experience in Distance Education, Hybrid, and Blended Learning course delivery models
- Experience with LMS and course content creation.
- Experience in creating training content via video and print with a fine eye for detail
- Knowledge of video production processes
- Experience playing an active role in coursework
- Experience in queue based support & ticketing
- Experience in creating and delivering presentations to groups in person and virtually
- Knowledge of online library reference operations
- Successful in project management: planning, leading, directing, and managing projects
- Excellent time-management skills
- Experience in leveraging skills of staff to enhance employee satisfaction and overall growth of organization
- Proficient in basic computer skills in a Macintosh environment with experience using the native applications such as Pages, Keynote, and Numbers; and open source tools such as LibreOffice
- Proficient in communicating via multiple channels, e.g. email, chat, phone
- Proficient use in online conferencing tools
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended hours in front of a computer screen: sitting, typing, and talking/hearing via phone.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a work from home position in the United States. While performing the duties of this job, the employee needs to be in a dedicated/controlled workspace environment. The noise level in the work environment should be mild, supporting the ability to conduct live presentations via webinar, and participate in video conferences, phone calls, and meetings without disturbances.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is an exempt full-time, remote position. Normal business hours are Monday - Friday, 9am-4pm Eastern time with a modified workday to provide online reference support during the hours of 7am-9pm Eastern. A Saturday or Sunday as part of an on-call rotation, or regularly scheduled, from 12pm-7pm Eastern time, is required.
LIRN prides itself on offering generous benefits to the LIRN employee family.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Required Attachments by Candidate
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter demonstrating what motivated you to apply at LIRN
- Unofficial transcripts for MLIS/MLS and any other degrees you wish to provide