The mission of Artisan Biotechnologies is to engineer cell therapeutics that significantly improve patient outcomes. To meet this mission, we are building a world-leading cell engineering foundry and partnering strategy that scales to address the complexity required by the largest indications. We will know we have succeeded when we can reliably and rapidly operate our foundry to generate cell products that consistently produce positive outcomes in patients.
At Artisan, we strive to recruit, hire, develop, and promote motivated, committed, and talented individuals. All employees are expected to support our mission as well as our commitment to build a culture driven by collaboration, delivering on promises, experimentation and data, welcoming challenges, and celebrating innovation.
Essential Job Functions:
The ideal Senior Research Associate/Associate Scientist candidate will have extensive hands-on experience with culturing and characterization of human cell types including model cell lines, blood cells, and/or stem cells. The role will focus on planning, execution, and analyses of experiments to evaluate and develop new engineered cell therapy product concepts. The successful applicant will be self-motivated and open to evolving and growing as the company matures. This full-time position is located in Toronto, ON and provides an exciting and dynamic opportunity for a candidate who is looking to advance their skills and career.
· Generate proof-of-concept and development data packages for novel cell therapy products
· Develop cultivation procedures for engineered model cell lines, blood cells and/or stem cells
· Derive engineered cell lines for evaluation
· Generate master and working cell banks
· Perform cell characterization assays
· Prepare experiment proposals and detailed experiment plans
· Analyze experimental data and communicate updates to technical team
· Draft and review SOPs and technical reports
· Demonstrate a high level of scientific integrity
· Train technical team members
Education and Experience
· MSc in bioengineering, biotechnology, cell biology, immunology, or equivalent experience and 3+ years of R&D experience
· Excellent cell culture skills and strong background culturing and banking mammalian cells including blood, progenitor and/or stem cells
· Experience working in the field of cell & gene therapies is highly desirable
· Demonstrated experience employing analytical tools for cell characterization including flow cytometry, qPCR, ddPCR, and/or functional cell-based assays
· Experience performing high-throughput experiments is an asset
· Knowledge of Quality by Design (QbD) and risk-based approaches
· Understanding of Design of Experiment (DoE) approaches and hypothesis testing statistics (t-test, ANOVA)
· Ability to accurately document laboratory procedures and experiment plans with keen attention to detail
· Proven ability to plan, execute and interpret experimental data sets in an independent manner
· Strong analytical thinking skills, including problem identification, root cause analysis and solution identification
· Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma is an asset
· Motivated to improve and streamline operational and technical procedures
· Adopts a continuous improvement mindset
· Excellent organizational skills and effective time management
· Consummate team player
· Personal protective equipment in laboratory is required
· May be required to move equipment or objects up to 50 lbs.
· Potential risk of exposure to biohazardous agents and chemicals