The mission of Artisan Biotechnologies is to engineer cell therapeutics that significantly improve patient outcomes. To meet this mission, we are building a world-leading cell engineering foundry and partnering strategy that scales to address the complexity required by the largest indications. We will know we have succeeded when we can reliably and rapidly operate our foundry to generate cell products that consistently produce positive outcomes in patients.
At Artisan, we strive to recruit, hire, develop, and promote motivated, committed, and talented individuals. All employees are expected to support our mission as well as our commitment to build a culture driven by collaboration, delivering on promises, experimentation and data, welcoming challenges, and celebrating innovation.
Essential Job Functions:
The successful candidate will drive the evaluation and development of new engineered cell therapy concepts and their manufacturing processes. They will have extensive hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture, cell characterization and the development of cell therapy manufacturing processes. The candidate will be self-motivated, eager to tackle a broad range of responsibilities and have experience leading a small technical team. This full-time position is located in Toronto, ON and provides an exciting and dynamic opportunity for a candidate who is looking to advance their skills and career.
· Technical lead for proof-of-concept evaluation and development of novel engineered cell therapies
· Systematically develop stem cell-based differentiation and editing methods and procedures for model cell lines, blood cells and/or stem cells
· Identify and implement assays for characterization of engineered cell lines
· Conceive, design, execute and analyze experimental results
· Present project data to technical team, leadership and/or external partners
· Effective timeline and resource management to reach milestones
· Facilitate effective cross-functional collaborations
· Draft and review SOPs and technical reports
· Demonstrate a high level of scientific integrity
· Mentor and train technical team
Education and Experience
· PhD in bioengineering, biotechnology, cell biology, immunology, or equivalent experience and 3+ years of R&D experience or MSc degree in a similar field with 8+ years of R&D experience
· Extensive experience culturing and banking mammalian cell lines, blood, progenitor and/or stem cells
· General knowledge of non-viral gene editing methodologies using CRISPR-based technologies
· Experience in developing cell therapy processes is highly desired, including the implementation of scale down models and high-throughput screening, adapting R&D processes to bioreactors, scale-up, downstream processing, cryopreservation, process closure, automation, and/or process analytics
· Demonstrated experience employing analytical tools for cell characterization including flow cytometry, qPCR, ddPCR, and/or functional cell-based assays
· Knowledge of Quality by Design (QbD) and risk-based approaches
· Strong statistical understanding and experience with Design of Experiment (DoE) approaches
· Excellent analytical thinking skills, including problem identification, root cause analysis and solution identification
· Proven ability to conceive, plan, execute and interpret complex experiments across projects and programs in an independent manner
· Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma is an asset
· Demonstrates initiative implementing lean operating practices and has a continuous improvement mindset
· Ability to accurately document laboratory procedures and experimental plans with keen attention to detail
· Excellent organizational skills, effective time, and project management
· Strong written and oral communication skills with capacity to clearly convey project plans to collaborators and audiences with diverse backgrounds
· To be decided based upon experience and qualifications
· Personal protective equipment in laboratory is required
· May be required to move equipment or objects up to 50 lbs.
· Potential risk of exposure to biohazardous agents and chemicals