The mission of Artisan Biotechnologies is to engineer cell therapeutics that significantly improve patient outcomes. To meet this mission, we are building a world-leading cell engineering foundry and partnering strategy that scales to address the complexity required by the largest indications. We will know we have succeeded when we can reliably and rapidly operate our foundry to generate cell products that consistently produce positive outcomes in patients.
At Artisan, we strive to recruit, hire, develop, and promote motivated, committed, and talented individuals. All employees are expected to support our mission as well as our commitment to build a culture driven by collaboration, delivering on promises, experimentation and data, welcoming challenges, and celebrating innovation.
Essential Job Functions:
The ideal Research Associate/Research Associate II candidate will have hands-on experience with human cell culture and ideally characterization of cell types including model cell lines, blood cells, and/or stem cells. The role will focus on execution of proof-of-concept studies evaluating engineered cell therapy product concepts and laboratory management/operations. The successful applicant will be self-motivated, enthusiastic about working in a fast-paced start-up environment and open to evolving and growing as the company matures. This full-time position is located in Toronto, ON and provides an exciting and dynamic opportunity for a candidate who is looking to advance their skills and career.
· Contribute to proof-of-concept and development data packages for novel cell therapy products
· Cultivate and differentiate engineered model cell lines, blood cells and/or stem cells
· Generate master and working cell banks
· Perform cell characterization assays
· Ordering and lab inventory management
· Experiment logistics lead, responsible for document preparation, ordering, resource scheduling, and material staging
· Execute experiments with proficiency, in strict accordance with SOPs and experimental plans
· Document experimental results
· Analyze experimental data sets and communicate updates to technical team
· Draft and review SOPs
· Demonstrate a high level of scientific integrity
Education and Experience
· MSc in bioengineering, biotechnology, cell biology, immunology, or equivalent experience of 3 or more years
· Strong background in mammalian cell culture
· Demonstrated experience employing analytical tools for cell characterization including flow cytometry, qPCR, ddPCR, ELISA and/or functional cell-based assays
· Knowledge of Quality by Design (QbD) and risk-based approaches is an asset
· Understanding of hypothesis testing statistics (t-test, ANOVA)
· Ability to accurately document laboratory procedures and experimental plans with keen attention to detail
· Proven ability to execute experimental procedures independently
· Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma is a plus
· Motivated to improve and streamline operational and technical procedures
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Consummate team player
· Personal protective equipment in laboratory is required
· May be required to move equipment or objects up to 50 lbs.
· Potential risk of exposure to biohazardous agents and chemicals