The Structural Engineer – will have 5+ years in an overall PV design engineering role for commercial and/or utility scale solar PV projects with a strong focus on the Roof top structure engineering aspects. He or she will be responsible for all structural engineering activities of several concurrent projects from client commitment, through construction and commissioning, and finally to handoff to O&M/Asset. Additionally, as the Structure Lead, this role will provide structural oversight and support to the other project engineers and development team.
About the Position
The Structural Engineer (PE licensed) will work with a team of engineers, project developers, project managers and engineering consultants to review, design and permit prospective commercial and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 700 KW to 10MW+. The successful candidate will be relied on to balance due diligence efforts with project risks for the continued development of projects for DSD Renewables. The candidate will functionally report into the VP of Engineering.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
The Structural Engineer is the main point of contact for all engineering concerning structure designs and lead effort in coordination with the 3rd party engineering.
- The Structural Engineer responsible for site inspection, zoning/bylaws study, meetings with local communities, and presentations to planning/zoning boards, state and federal agencies are among the main responsibilities. Working with staff engineers with varied degrees of development experience, as well as managing survey, environmental, and engineering sub-consultants, will be part of the job description. On occasion, the incumbent will be required to provide technical presentations to company investment committees. The engineer will also help with the production of standard details, notes, and specifications, as well as the examination of design drawings created by in-house or external designers.
- Managing the creation of 30/60/90, Issued for Permit (IFP), and Issued for Construction (IFC) drawing sets for permitting, specifying, and quoting equipment, supervising the construction activities and resolving any issues that arise
- Provide Structural engineering oversight to the rest of the engineering team and set structure engineering standards for use by the entire organization
- Specification of all project equipment along with timely management of submittals and requests for information (RFIs) during construction
- Designing racking pile foundations for fixed tilt or tracker systems to meet jurisdictional requirements at local, State and Federal levels for various geotechnical parameters and soil types.
- Creating structural engineering plans, details and calculations for utility and commercial scale solar projects in various regions with high wind, seismic and snow loads
- Reviewing and responding to project construction administration items including Requests for Information (RFI), shop drawings, and submittals.
- Reviewing the designs of the EPCs to confirm compliance with the project requirements and code.
- Reading and understanding site studies, such as geotechnical reports.
- Reading and understanding existing and proposed structural and civil drawings.
- Ability to manage time efficiently across multiple projects.
- Coordination with clients on their expectations
- Gaining deep knowledge of PV system components such as modules, racking, inverters and Balance of Systems (BOS).
- Ensure compliance with company, industry, trade, and jurisdictional safety standards, practices, and codes.
- Demonstrated ability to solve design and construction issues economically and efficiently in the field
- Ensures client focused execution of all engineering activities
- Perform additional duties as assigned and/or directed.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects in various stages of construction at the same time
Desired Skills and Experience: