Distributed Solar Development, LLC (DSD) seeks a Director of Acquisitions & Strategic Originations to join its growing team. DSD develops, owns and operates Distributed Generation (DG) solar and solar plus storage projects with municipalities, F500 companies, and utilities across the U.S. The primary role will be to originate opportunities for DSD to acquire solar or solar plus storage projects. In addition, the role will lead key initiatives to cultivate, structure, and form Co-Development/ Joint Development Agreements with Energy Developers and Strategic Partners.
This position will develop and execute on a multi-regional market strategy to identify Developers (and opportunities) to acquire assets and or to form Partnerships. This person will work closely with the Project Finance teams on initial pricing, the Asset Acquisition transaction & due diligence team during the purchase process and liaise with other cross functional groups for key inputs that support the commercial opportunity.
This position can be remote however the candidate may also be based out of the San Francisco or New York City office, depending on market focus. The position will report to the VP of Acquisitions & Strategic Originations.
The role will be an integral part of supporting the acquisition effort of the business and will own and maintain commercial accounts for DSD. The ideal professional can work well in a remote environment, work independently to source new deals and work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment with the goal of driving the commercial process.
The Director of Acquisitions & Strategic Originations will be a senior member of the Commercial team and will split duties between the following:
Project Acquisition – Origination (75%)
Strategic Origination – Co-Development/ Joint Development Funding Arrangements (25%)
As part of the role, you will:
· Identify new opportunities for DSD to acquire solar and solar plus storage projects at various stages of the development cycle by engaging with Developers, Brokers, Channel Partners, and other relevant Sellers/ intermediaries
· Lead, maintain, and own relationships with new and existing Developer partners
· Monitor policy and incentives in relevant U.S. markets
· Lead the pricing and term sheet effort by collaborating with finance to prepare financial model to assess project/ portfolio returns and indicative pricing
· Articulate and deliver the full economic, strategic, and collaboration value represented from DSD and for its Development partners
· Participate / present at industry events and seminars to promote DSD value proposition
· Maintain knowledge of solar economic market trends, competitor actions, and developer network
· Able to lead discussions externally and internally as a subject matter expert in order to acquire distributed generation scale projects across multiple states under various utility and incentive program structures
· Negotiate and execute relevant contracts, including but not limited to NDAs, Development Service Agreements, Term Sheets, Letter of Intents, Binding Site Control
· Proficiently perform all required acquisition activities including prospecting, qualifying, account management, proposals, presentations, networking, relationship building, and contracting
· Bachelor's Degree from accredited college or university
· Master's Degree from accredited college or university, preferred but not required
· 5+ years of experience associated with solar power generation in sales, acquisitions, development, policy, and/ or project finance
· Experience with DG originations, and project acquisition
· Experience with community solar programs and requirements in major U.S. markets
· Experience with Distributed Generation markets in the U.S. markets from a policy and incentive standpoint
· Experience presenting to executive management teams
· Willingness and ability to travel, as required
· High level of attention to detail
· Strong negotiation and verbal communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
· Ability to influence others, both internally and externally
· Ability to prioritize competing deadlines and manage short turnarounds
· Strength in establishing long term professional relationships with Commercial Partners
· Entrepreneurial mind-set and strong understanding and relatability of Developer business model
· Highly analytical with the ability to analyze, modify, and interpret complex project finance models
· Self-motivated and excited to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, team environment
· Willingness to teach, coach, and guide junior team members
· Works autonomously and can sole search commercial opportunities
San Francisco Bay area (West Coast) preferred. Remote options considered.