DSD seeks an Energy Storage Acquisitions Manager (“ESAM”) to join our rapidly expanding origination team. DSD originates, develops, finances, builds, owns, and operates 500kW-10MW solar assets, often enhanced by energy storage. Given the multiple, significant values that can be garnered via integrating energy storage into both behind- and front-of-meter solar projects, energy storage is quickly becoming an integral part of our pipeline, and deployed projects. A significant volume of energy storage deal flow comes through our briskly expanding project acquisition platform, and DSD seeks an experienced, creative, energy storage professional, who can immediately evaluate which projects can be supported, under what conditions for successful financing and operation, and drive strong opportunities to close.
The successful ESAM will work extensively cross-functionally, to validate and progress energy storage opportunities within our asset acquisition pipeline. the successful candidate must be functionally fluent in interactions with internal solar acquisitions, finance, engineering, legal, operations, and other teams, as well as with external acquisition, EPC, and ESS partners. The ESAM will report to the VP of Energy Storage & EV Charging Solutions.
A strong applicant will be self-motivated, and have a deep knowledge of key storage markets, use cases, and desirable financing characteristics of solar plus energy storage assets. The ESAM must be able to support several projects and project portfolios concurrently while sustaining rigorous attention to detail. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience and a track record of success through previous positions at a solar or energy storage developer. Experience working with multiple functional groups at a solar or energy storage developer in the C&I sector, is a plus. Managing of multiple external stakeholders to fulfill project deadlines on-time is critical.
· Assess inbound energy storage acquisition business opportunities. Often with limited information in the early stages, coming in varying forms from acquisition partners, identify key gaps and information to meet DSD’s financing and operational requirements
· By familiar with a rapidly changing landscape of ESS manufacturers, products, revenue streams, and related financing considerations for energy storage. Know what DSD is comfortable with, and where changes are needed to successfully finance within the DSD platform
· As deals progress, use existing criteria to diligence project details and data rooms. Adapt acquisition criteria to specific opportunities, and drive issues to resolution.
· Work in closely with internal solar acquisitions team, as well as internal finance, engineering, legal, and other teams to vet all aspects of energy storage acquisition prospects. Work in lockstep with DSD ESS team and Product Management, to enforce what DSD can support.
· Keep all internal team members well-informed about acquisition progress and issues
· Understand how to optimize energy storage projects, to maximize value of proposed asset transactions, within the bounds of what entitlements, operating constraints, manufacturer covenants, etc. may already be locked into a project.
· Be deeply familiar with energy storage revenue opportunities, primarily front-of-meter. Know the nuances of programmatic use cases (eg. VDERs, Clean Peak), as well as how ESS can garner value in less structured revenue opportunities (eg. wholesale capacity, arbitrage)
· Act as a subject matter expert in optimizing the value of available Federal and local incentives for energy storage, including how they may interact with related solar incentives
· Provide feedback to, and collaborate with, various managers to improve deal flow efficiency, throughput & value. Identify resource constraints, and refine project diligence criteria
· Ability to travel for meetings with customers, partners, attend conferences, and present to DSD executives.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
· Minimum 5 years of professional experience with a solar or energy storage developer, with record of sustained advancement
· Minimum 2 years of professional experience working on energy storage project origination, development, or related function.
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or related field
· High level of attention to detail, and capable of organizing and tracking key deal issues
· Ability to manage multiple competing deadlines and short turnarounds, with multiple parties
· Effective communication skills, for varied audiences with different professional disciplines.
· Self-motivated and excited to work in a dynamic, team environment, crushing deals
Location: Remote – Full-time
Additional Eligibility Requirement
DSD will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Notice to Recruiters & Staffing Agencies
Distributed Solar Development has an internal talent acquisition department and designated career site for individuals looking to join our team. Distributed Solar Development will not accept unsolicited resumes from any external recruiters, staffing firms, search agencies or any fee-based referrals. Any unsolicited resumes sent to directly to Distributed Solar Development, in any capacity will be considered property of Distributed Solar Development. This policy is applicable to all Distributed Solar Development locations and will be the responsibility of third parties and vendors to understand this policy. Distributed Solar Development will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Distributed Solar Development (DSD) is transforming the way organizations harness clean energy. With unparalleled capabilities including development, structured financing, project acquisition and long-term asset ownership, DSD creates significant value for our commercial, industrial and municipal customers and partners. Backed by world-leading financial partners like BlackRock Real Assets and rooted in our founding at GE with a 120+ year legacy of innovation, our team brings a distinct combination of ingenuity, rigor, and accountability to every project we manage, acquire, own and maintain. To learn more, visit dsdrenewables.com. Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter. Distributed Solar Development is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.