The Senior Project Manager – West is responsible for overall planning, resourcing, and implementation of solar PV ground mount, rooftop and carport construction of assigned regional commercial and industrial (C&I) and community solar projects including project performance, company financial targets, and personnel management. Contract negotiation and contract management techniques will be paramount for the success of this role. This position will lead DSD’s Solar projects and offers an exciting growth opportunity for a high performing project management professional.
This position will report to the Director of Construction.
This position is responsible for safe work plans, client negotiations, risk management, verification of cost estimation, contract management and execution strategy. In addition, the Senior Project Manager is responsible for the business side of the project, managing the P&L, safety, and client satisfaction The candidate for this role will be a collaborative team player with exceptional communication skills who can work autonomously and be self-directed.
Candidate located on the West Coast preferred, however, remote working options can be considered.
As the Sr. Solar Project Manager, you will manage the execution for the design and build out of C&I and community solar projects with a focus on the following aspects:
- Lead team through the execution phase of the project by hosting regular team meetings, ensure design, procurement, inspections, site visits and other aspects of project execution is being conducted on time to ensure proper project close out.
- Manage the project cycle for Projects and oversee all field teams and installation progress
- Engage cross-functional teams (e.g., field operations, sourcing, logistics, project finance, engineering, manufacturing, project controls, contract management) to ensure successful project execution
- Create and manage all aspects of the project schedule as it relates to permitting, material purchase and delivery and the construction process.
- Manage to multiple deadlines, included but not limited to internal, customer and third-party requirements.
- Manage budget with the purpose of minimizing the undesirable impact of unexpected changes while maximizing opportunities for margin enhancement through material purchases and subcontracting relationships, negotiations and improving construction and delivery process.
- Maximize cash flow by aggressively adhering to the project invoicing schedule and accurately document and submit all receivables, quantity as-builts, change orders and claims.
- Create project cost estimates and negotiate with subcontractors.. Define elements of work and develop scope of work for subcontracts and manage bid process for subcontracted work
- Oversee and review and/or develop the formal Scope of Work to be included in the Contractual documents
- Execute the project using the DSD Solar Quality Management and Assurance Program
- Establish regular communication with customer, deal team and subcontractor teams to guarantee an efficiently run project, continuously resolve issues, and ensure that all stakeholders are up to speed on project.
- Regularly report to manager on project metrics to forecast of cash flow and revenue recognition.
- Serve as primary site level customer contact during project execution phase.
- Communicate with owner/client on contractual obligations, schedules, and milestones
- Negotiate with owner/client initiated extra work, change of scope items, and contract deletions to maximize profits
- Ensure that project is constructed safely and in compliance with site and DSD safety program. Work with DSD safety officer on audit and safety evaluation process.
- Ensure all safety materials and documentation are onsite
- Review, negotiate and build project to the specifics within the governing contract and ensure all deliverables are completed and contract nuances are understood and followed.
- Actively develops client relations to generate opportunities for new work.
- Manage system commissioning and close out.
- Coordinate with utility interconnection teams
- Preferably experience the solar energy industry, C&I and community solar specifically
- Experience as an owner’s representative to manage a project per DSDs, installation standards, and into operation phase
- Experience with development, finance, as it relates to construction’s role in the transaction
- Experience managing onsite witness testing, commissioning, inspection, turnover procedures, and COD requirements
- Knowledge of migrating portfolios of projects between development, finance, and into the construction process
- Solar engineering experience (PVsyst, Helioscope, etc.)
- Exceptional Communication Skills
- Ability to work remotely and independently and a self-starter
- High level of project construction knowledge and subcontractor relationships
- Ability to travel
- 7-10 years of solar project management experience or related field.
- Experience dealing with Federal, State and local agencies for permitting and entitlements
- Demonstrated skills in project planning software (e.g., Microsoft Project, Primavera.)
- Demonstrated computer skills, including Salesforce, Procore, NetSuite, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or Construction Management is preferred
- Experience in dealing with offshore procurement and Customs requirements
- Financial forecasting experience
Additional Eligibility Requirement DSD will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Notice to Recruiters & Staffing Agencies Distributed Solar Development has an internal talent acquisition department and designated career site for individuals looking to join our team. Distributed Solar Development will not accept unsolicited resumes from any external recruiters, staffing firms, search agencies or any fee-based referrals. Any unsolicited resumes sent to directly to Distributed Solar Development, in any capacity will be considered property of Distributed Solar Development. This policy is applicable to all Distributed Solar Development locations and will be the responsibility of third parties and vendors to understand this policy. Distributed Solar Development will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
About Us Distributed Solar Development (DSD) is transforming the way organizations harness clean energy. With unparalleled capabilities including development, structured financing, project acquisition and long-term asset ownership, DSD creates significant value for our commercial, industrial and municipal customers and partners. Backed by world-leading financial partners like BlackRock Real Assets and rooted in our founding at GE with a 120+ year legacy of innovation, our team brings a distinct combination of ingenuity, rigor, and accountability to every project we manage, acquire, own and maintain. To learn more, visit dsdrenewables.com. Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter. Distributed Solar Development is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.