Distributed Solar Development, LLC (DSD) seeks a Solar Operations Monitoring Specialist to join its growing team. DSD develops commercial and industrial “C&I” sited solar and solar plus storage projects with municipalities, F500 companies, and community solar installations with utilities. This role will work cooperatively with a cross functional team and with DSD subcontractors to achieve performance goals for the business.
Distributed Solar Development, LLC (DSD) is seeking to fill the role of Solar Operations Monitoring Specialist to join our industry leading team. In this role, you will work directly and cross-functionally with maintenance contractors, Construction and Engineering, and Finance to oversee and report on the day-to-day operations of our internally funded and external owned solar power plants.
Solar Operations Monitoring Specialist’s role provides a great opportunity for your career in the solar industry. As we build out our portfolio of Assets in the upcoming year, the need to know how the plants are performing in real time and work to optimize the performance of our solar assets.
- Responsible for monitoring the performance of solar sites on a daily basis.
o Responsible for identifying site specific technical issues through the use of the AlsoEnergy Data Acquisition System or other applicable interfaces to assess system health.
- Troubleshooting of technical issues
- Carry out on root cause analysis on system or component failures
- Coordination with DSD Maintenance staff to dispatch technicians to site
- Issue tracking
- Ensure that documentation of work performed at site is recorded and reported.
- Always maintain safety standards
o Work closely with field technicians.
- Work closely with the field technicians to relay information on how the sites are operating or malfunctioning
- Provide remote phone or in-person support to contractors when troubleshooting equipment at site
- Contact field technicians for follow up work as needed
o Work cross functionally with Engineering, Performance engineering and construction to continuously to resolve complex issues and improve the overall performance of the sites
- Identification of repeated issues or device failures to the internal team
- Identify areas of potential improvement
- Identify and communicate best practices
- Incumbent candidate will be responsible for weekly, monthly, and quarterly reporting for all sites as it relates to plant performance versus expected output and forecast output
- Expectation that candidate will have or will quickly get up to speed on drivers of performance for solar power plants and ways to quantify and or mitigate losses
- Assigning root cause to all performance losses at sites
- Ability to recognize need to tap others for expertise
What makes a great Solar Operations Monitoring Specialist?
- O&M experience with commercial solar project
- Understanding of PV solar production and optimization
- Ability to monitor and troubleshoot remotely:
- Commercial PV inverters
- String and Central
- 3 Phase electrical meters
- DAS/Communication systems
- PV monitoring systems
- Use plant control and monitoring systems to diagnose problems and monitor project performance
- Experience with Remote access to equipment
- Read and interpret electrical Drawings
- Understand and critically evaluate electrical testing documentation relating to equipment in solar PV plants.
- Strong communications skills and customer service focus
- Ability to be proactive and anticipate issues in advance of
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal teams, suppliers, and external customers
- Willing to aid in the generation of better process and tools, creating initiatives to increase efficiencies
- Ability to manage multiple competing deadlines and short turnarounds while sustaining rigorous attention to detail
- Self-motivated, fast learner, and excited to work in a collaborative team environment
- Willing to challenge oneself by constantly learning and raising hands to solve problems and increase efficiency
- Comfortable with thinking outside the box and patiently seeking for solutions when being challenged with tough problems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in front of customers as well as strong interpersonal and coordination skills with internal team members
- Strong Computer skills
- Strong technical mind and troubleshooting skills
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Technical Diploma, verified equivalent training, or bachelor’s degree in electronics, computer programming, data analysis, and or electrical engineering
- Strong electrical, electronic, communications and mechanical troubleshooting skills required for working with equipment found in commercial and utility PV plants
- Ability to become trained and or certified on best practices for safety in the solar industry.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Ideally 1-years of work experience in the renewable energy field but willing to consider recent graduates able to demonstrate technical skills.
- Multiple years of Solar Technician (Commercial industrial) experience
- 2-years’ or more work experience in the renewable energy field performing site monitoring duties OR 4-years’ or more field experience as an electrical technician working with photovoltaic systems
- Experience with SEL relays
- Experience with MV troubleshooting
- Familiarity with AlsoEnergy
- Familiarity with remote access for inverter platforms
Main working rhythm is based on Eastern Time. No expectation of the candidate to work in an office but must be able to perform all technical work duties from home in a timely manner.
Additional Eligibility Requirement DSD will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Notice to Recruiters & Staffing Agencies Distributed Solar Development has an internal talent acquisition department and designated career site for individuals looking to join our team. Distributed Solar Development will not accept unsolicited resumes from any external recruiters, staffing firms, search agencies or any fee-based referrals. Any unsolicited resumes sent to directly to Distributed Solar Development, in any capacity will be considered property of Distributed Solar Development. This policy is applicable to all Distributed Solar Development locations and will be the responsibility of third parties and vendors to understand this policy. Distributed Solar Development will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
About Us Distributed Solar Development (DSD) is transforming the way organizations harness clean energy. With unparalleled capabilities including development, structured financing, project acquisition and long-term asset ownership, DSD creates significant value for our commercial, industrial and municipal customers and partners. Backed by world-leading financial partners like BlackRock Real Assets and rooted in our founding at GE with a 120+ year legacy of innovation, our team brings a distinct combination of ingenuity, rigor, and accountability to every project we manage, acquire, own and maintain. To learn more, visit dsdrenewables.com. Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter. Distributed Solar Development is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.