Distributed Solar Development, LLC (DSD) seeks a Sr. Director of Policy to join its growing team. DSD develops, finances, and owns distributed solar and solar plus storage projects through multiple business channels to deliver clean energy to municipalities, F500 companies, and utilities. Importantly, DSD is an industry leader in designing and building canopy and rooftop structures and is currently expanding its community solar portfolio. This role will work cooperatively with a cross functional team to achieve performance goals for the business.
Distributed Solar Development, LLC (DSD) is seeking to hire its first Sr. Director of Policy to join our business and market development team. In this role, you will lead the company’s statutory and legislative analysis, political and regulatory engagement, and overall policy strategy to achieve our commercial goals and objectives. This role will work closely with our business leaders across sales and origination, asset acquisitions, structured finance, development, legal, and commercial analysis.
This position’s primary responsibilities will include tracking and analyzing state and federal energy policies, collaborating with industry coalitions and trade groups, and identifying regulatory and political opportunities to advance our business interests.
The Sr. Director of Policy will report directly to the Chief Commercial Officer.
• Continuously track federal, state and local regulatory and policy developments related to solar and energy storage markets across the US.
• Lead DSD’s advocacy work, including direct engagement with public utility commissioners and staff, collaboration with industry trade associations, and coordination with outside counsel/consultants on solar policy matters.
• Gather market intelligence and strive to be an industry leading thinker.
• Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the distributed solar regulatory landscape with other functional leaders at the company supporting community solar, project development, structured finance, and energy storage.
• Determine business impacts of regulatory proposals and build and drive positive policy outcomes.
• Engage with and follow various trade association and policy groups in the industry to identify market opportunities for DSD.
• Be part of strategic plan development to enter new markets with clear and well thought out plans.
• Help set goals and timelines for success in existing and new markets.
• Assist in the implementation of key political strategies.
• Help author and deliver presentations on policy and advocacy movement to executive and leadership staff at DSD.
• Represent DSD as a regulatory expert in meetings with regulators, agency officials, legislators, utilities, other companies, trade associations.
• Advanced degree in economics, policy or law strongly preferred
• At least 10 years work experience in energy regulatory policy
• Proven experience working with state regulatory commissions
• Experience with California agencies, utilities, and entities (e.g., California Energy Commission, California ISO, muni utilities, CCAs, investor owned utilities)
• Excellent verbal, written and personal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complicated and technical policy points effectively
• Demonstrated analytical ability, particularly relating to pricing and financial impacts of regulation and incentives
• Ability to rapidly digest, synthesize and summarize technical information
• Commitment to ensuring inclusive and equitable outcomes in all that we do, both internally and externally
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently, to manage time and multiple deadlines
• Successfully work with a broad range of partners and the ability to collaborate effectively on cross-functional teams
• Ability to thrive in an evolving and dynamic environment
San Francisco Bay Area or NYC area preferred. Remote options considered.
Notice to Recruiters & Staffing Agencies Distributed Solar Development has an internal talent acquisition department and designated career site for individuals looking to join our team. Distributed Solar Development will not accept unsolicited resumes from any external recruiters, staffing firms, search agencies or any fee-based referrals. Any unsolicited resumes sent to directly to Distributed Solar Development, in any capacity will be considered property of Distributed Solar Development. This policy is applicable to all Distributed Solar Development locations and will be the responsibility of third parties and vendors to understand this policy. Distributed Solar Development will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Distributed Solar Development (DSD) is transforming the way organizations harness clean energy. With unparalleled capabilities including development, structured financing, project acquisition and long-term asset ownership, DSD creates significant value for our commercial, industrial and municipal customers and partners. Backed by world-leading financial partners like BlackRock Real Assets and rooted in our founding at GE with a 120+ year legacy of innovation, our team brings a distinct combination of ingenuity, rigor, and accountability to every project we manage, acquire, own and maintain. To learn more, visit dsdrenewables.com. Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter. Distributed Solar Development is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.