Title: Construction Manager
Role Summary/Purpose: The Construction Manager will lead the manage onsite activities during the execution phase of the project and will be the focal point for DSD projects executed in western half of North America. The Construction Manager will assist in managing projects with a focus on schedule, budget, safety, quality and communication. The candidate for this role will be a collaborative team player with exceptional communication skills and can work autonomously and self-directed. This position will report to the Managing Director of Project Management.
Remote working options available in the West Coast Region
Essential Responsibilities: As the Construction Manager, you will manage the execution for the design and build out of commercial solar projects with a focus on the following aspects:
· Support project manager through the execution phase of the project by hosting regular subcontractor meetings, ensure design and documentation is up to date, help manage procurement and logistics, coordinate inspections, conduct regular site visits and other aspects of project execution is being conducted on time to ensure proper project close out.
· Manage onsite subcontractors on all construction activities.
· Engage cross-functional teams (e.g., engineering and project management, etc) to ensure successful project execution
· Report regularly to project manager on all aspects of the project schedule as it relates to permitting, material purchase and delivery and the construction process.
· Manage to multiple deadlines, included but not limited to internal, customer and third-party requirements.
· Work with local site host point personnel for daily schedules, construction plans, phasing, safety, quality, etc.
· Tirelessly seek to find cost savings on projects. This includes but is not limited to value engineering, assist PM’s in estimations, project budgets, change order negotiation. Find areas where costs can be taken out of project. Negotiate with owner initiated extra work, change of scope items, and contract deletions to maximize profits.
· Work with Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QAQC) and Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Departments and Programs to coordinate and conduct site visits, audits and reports throughout projects
o Submit regular reports on site activities to Company PM.
o Attend weekly subcontractor meeting
o Preform regular walk throughs for quality, safety, and progress
o Record and manage progress photos
· Site Coordination - site coordination activities between all contractors and vendors, company, site host site and AHJ.
· Drawing and Documentation Management
o Ensure subs have most updated drawing sets
o Ensure permit is posted
o Post all work permits (internal host sites)
· Inspections and Testing – Coordinate, schedule and initiate 3rd party and AHJ inspections where necessary
· Regularly enforce EHS Standards
o CM will conduct regular safety audits, coordinate with EHS department, ensure proper safety documentation and signage on site
o CM to enforce EHS standards, EHS plans, OSHA requirements and compliance onsite with contractors and all other personnel.
o Ensure environmental signage is posted, erosion control standards are in place and environmental standards and permits are being followed.
o Ensure that project is constructed safely and in compliance with site and GE safety program. Work with GE safety officer on audit and safety evaluation process.
· Coordinate procurement, inventory, deliveries, onsite equipment. This includes participating in and assisting with logistics. CM may from time to time have to operate equipment to organize/clean up a site.
· Establish regular communication with customer, deal team and subcontractor teams to guarantee a smoothly run project, continuously resolve issues, and ensure that all stakeholders are up to speed on project.
· Regularly report to manager on project status.
· Serve as primary site level customer contact during project execution phase.
· Actively develop client relations to generate opportunities for new work.
· Manage system commissioning and close out.
· Exceptional Communication Skills
· Construction management experience in the solar industry
· Ability to work remotely and independently and be a self-starter
· General construction experience
· High level of project construction knowledge and subcontractor relationships
· Ability to travel
· Certificate or Degree in Engineering or Construction Management or related field with 7-10 years of experience or equivalent.
· Demonstrated computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint and Procore
· Project management or other experience in power generation industries
· Experience dealing successfully with customs
· Experience dealing with federal, state and local agencies for various permits and entitlements
Additional Eligibility Requirement
DSD will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Distributed Solar Development, a GE Renewable Energy venture, is part of the evolution to cleaner, secure, more customer-focused energy. From analysis, through design and finance, to commercial operation, DSD provides customized turnkey PV energy and energy storage solutions to businesses, enterprises, institutions and municipalities throughout North America. Headquartered in Schenectady, NY with a team spanning across the United States, we leverage our unmatched market expertise to deliver exceptional customer outcomes. Distributed Solar Development is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.