Spirovant is a gene therapy leader focused on changing the course of cystic fibrosis and other respiratory diseases. Our gene therapy technologies are using adeno-associated virus (AAV) and lentivirus vectors designed to overcome the historical barriers that have prevented effective genetic treatments for inherited lung conditions such as cystic fibrosis. We are a rapidly growing company located in the biotech heart of University City, Philadelphia. To support our continued expansion and enable our future success, Spirovant is looking for a Senior Scientist, Respiratory Epithelial Biology.
· Establish human alveolar cell cultures using tissue culture plates and/or organoids in extracellular matrices for mechanism of action studies using viral-based gene therapy vectors.
· Differentiate alveolar type I/II cells from human inducible pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells), other relevant cell sources and/or cultures of primary human alveolar cells.
· Investigate the differentiation status of type II alveolar cells and other respiratory cell types by investigating the expression of established cell markers and/or relevant gene reporter systems using immune-histological staining or molecular techniques.
· Apply biological, biochemical and molecular techniques to investigate viral vector tropism, cell transduction, promoter activity, transgene expression and mechanism of action studies in human airway epithelial cultures.
· Apply molecular biology (PCR, ddPCR, RNA tissue extraction), biochemical analysis (ELISA, FACS), cell culture, cell transfection/infection and immune-histological methods for gene therapy studies in vitro.
· Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner.
· Author technical reports, method transfer documents, and prepare scientific presentations as needed.
· Provide project leadership to ensure that internal research objectives and activities are aligned with corporate goals. Drive research activities with diligence to maintain program timelines.
· Serve as liaison with the process/analytical development and manufacturing group to guide the maintenance of vector product quality across multiple production and purification operations.
· Collaborate with and provide subject matter expertise to other individuals/groups within Spirovant as needed.
· Design experiments and research plans with the VP, Research, to address unmet need in respiratory diseases using gene therapy technologies.
· Participate in the scope-creation, execution, and oversight of Research Agreements with external collaborators.
· PhD in relevant biological sciences (i.e. cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology) or related fields with 5+ years post-doctoral or relevant industry experience.
· Experience with isolation, differentiation, phenotyping and culturing of alveolar type I/II cells.
· Experience in respiratory diseases.
· Experience with immunology and/or gene therapy are a plus.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Proven ability to independently manage multiple projects/tasks at one time, as well management of program interdependencies to meet set timelines.
· Demonstrated experience and track-record accomplishment in lab management.
· Team oriented, highly motivated, execution focused with strong work ethic, ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment.
· Flexible, collaborative, and responsive to scientific, technical, and business opportunities and needs.
Spirovant is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.