The Research Scientist will conduct research in Spirovant’s Philadelphia laboratory in consultation with staff and management. The candidate will participate in research using established SOPs and is expected to contribute to the development of novel SOPs. The candidate will be a high-level individual contributor who is self-motivated and integrates effectively into the team, enhancing the team’s overall efficiency and productivity.
Additional key responsibilities include:
- Conduct research to elucidate the critical molecular and structural components of novel AAV serotypes that are required to promote and maintain intended gene transfer functions of the vector.
- Conduct molecular biological research to optimize vector biology, enhance genome packaging efficiency and optimize titer for viral vectors.
- Perform studies of functional expression of therapeutic transgenes.
- Serve as liaison with the process/analytical development and manufacturing group in order to guide the maintenance of vector product quality across multiple production and purification operations and scales.
- Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner. Author technical reports, method transfer documents, and prepare scientific presentations as needed.
- Provide project leadership to ensure that internal research objectives and activities are aligned with corporate goals. Drive vector biology research activities with diligence to maintain program timelines.
- Coordinate and establish group resource needs for staff, infrastructure, equipment, operations, shipping, documentation, and customer service
- Consult and develops new policies and modify existing policies and procedures for lab operations in accordance with protocols and standards
- Technical experience in one or more of tissue culture, ddPCR, real-time qPCR, RNA tissue extraction, immunohistochemistry, Western blot, Flow cytometry, FACS sorting, aggregation assays, ELISA, and microscopy.
- Experience in AAV vector packaging, preparation, purification, analysis and viral titer assays.
- Maintain compliance with facility mandated chemical inventory and safety requirements
- Proficiency in using Electronic Laboratory Notebooks
- Generate, analyze, and maintain data produced from a wide variety of laboratory techniques and analytical instrumentation
- Help prepare technical reports, papers, tech transfer documents, and presentations and SOPs for regulatory or grant-making agencies, or use in further research activities as needed
- Travel occasionally to conferences and business meetings.
At Spirovant, the successful candidate will be highly creative and adept at problem solving, with the ability to thrive in a “get it done” type of environment.
- (S)he will have the following mix of personal and professional characteristics:
- Minimum of BS degree in cell biology, chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field and 5+ years experience with AAV viral vectors and in vitro/in vivo disease models.
- Industry experience and MS or PhD is a plus.
- Experience with lentivirus viral vectors is a plus.
- Experience in respiratory disease, immunology is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience and track-record accomplishment in lab management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Team oriented, highly motivated, execution focused with strong work ethic, ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment.
- Flexible, collaborative and responsive to scientific, technical and business opportunities and needs.