The Operations Associate is a key position responsible for supporting the logistics and smooth operations of Green City Force service sites. The Operations Associate performs a range of activities including (but not limited to): preparing and implementing service site grounds planning and scheduling, leading infrastructure projects, record keeping, coordinating deliveries with vendors, and liaising with partners using the farm sites for field trips and agricultural and horticultural education. The role will also be responsible for training Corps Members during service.
The Operations Associate must be comfortable being outdoors in various weather conditions, be able to perform physical tasks, and exhibit problem solving skills based on sound agricultural/service learning practices.
All GCF staff must model the professional behavior, standard of excellence, values and culture that Green City Force seeks to build in its own Corps Members.
DUTIES, TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES
· Meet farm production yield goals and distribution goals, providing regular reports on status/ progress
· Collaborate with Operations Manager to increase yield and develop additional supportive infrastructure
· Support preparation of farm plans and schedules that include sowing, transplanting, maintenance and succession
· Work with the Operations Manager to ensure consistent planning across Eco-Hubs
· Work in coordination with Service Corps teams to prepare weekly task lists of all farms to address Eco-Hub needs
· Ensure that Eco-Hub operations proceed in a manner that is timely, efficient and effective
· Conduct agricultural and carpentry training for Corps members in the field
· Work with Service Coordinators to organize teams around day to day tasks
· Coordinate inventory of all farm/service sites materials and equipment in collaboration with Operations Manager
· Implement preventative pest control measures; identify and treat any pests
· Coordinate with Operations Manager and Program Manager on team scheduling and site deliveries
· With Service Coordinators, maintain accurate and timely daily records and documentation for reporting and manage paperwork on harvesting and maintenance, energy and water use, and infrastructure projects
· Support operations of Eco-Hub programming, including but not limited to weekly farm stands, fresh tastings, workshops, and annual Harvest Fests; with Program Manager and Program Coordinator, plan, procure, and deliver necessary materials
· Print and replenish printed materials as needed, including on-site signage and communications, flyers, and other outreach materials
· Support distribution of Corps Member stipends and Metrocards to service sites, as needed
· Support planning and execution of NYCHA stewardship projects
· Participate in long range Eco-Hub grounds planning
· At all Eco-Hubs, represent GCF to community partners and individuals; model good relations and appropriate interactions with clients, partners and other community members
· Participate in regular staff meetings
· Research pricing and availability of materials
· Commitment to urban agriculture, social and economic justice, and sustainable development; passion for Green City Force’s mission. Prior experience as a Green City Force Corps Member a plus.
· Clean driver’s license, or on track to have a license within 3 months of start date.
· Excellent understanding of best practices for urban farming, carpentry and general service-learning related components.
· Experience working with young adults from low income communities
· Motivation to educate young urban adults and community members in a youth-led farm setting
· High level of professionalism, integrity, work ethics, accountability and responsibility
· Highly organized self-starter; ability to structure tasks, establish priorities and set goals
· Ability to solve problems, produce schedules and farm plans and exercise sound judgment
· Excellent communication skills, strong interpersonal and motivational skills, excellent collaborative and team-work skills
· 2 years’ experience in agriculture, infrastructure, general sustainability sector
· Excellent ability to consistently meet deadlines, work collaboratively with other departments, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and turn around assignments quickly without compromising quality
· Strong project management skills - experience with creating project plans, setting goals and deadlines, and keeping a team on schedule to meet deadlines
· Must be able to work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Green City Force (GCF) is in our second decade having celebrated 20 cohorts of our award-winning AmeriCorps program. Green City Force (GCF) engages young adults from New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) communities in service years related to the environment. In doing so, we prepare them for sustainable careers, while serving to make public housing communities more sustainable and healthier, creating the green city we want to see.
Our 545+ graduates are working in all areas of the green economy, from energy efficiency to composting, construction to hydroponic farming. A recent report documents the multiple benefits of GCF’s holistic model, through which young adults in public housing grow change in their communities and their own lives.
To learn more about GCF’s impact in NYCHA communities please visit www.greencityforce.org
Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. GCF is an Employer of Service.
Benefits: Generous leave, and comprehensive medical & dental benefits
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We are looking to fill this position immediately.