DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Overview: Green City Force (GCF) seeks an experienced professional with strong financial and accounting skills, and a track record of excellence. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Finance will be a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO, responsibility for the organization’s finance and accounting functions, including budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow, coordination of audit activities, as well as managing accounts payables and receivables.
The ideal candidate will be an effective problem solver who thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. GCF has garnered awards and recognition at every level, including the Mayor’s “Most Innovative Nonprofit in NYC”. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as a critical part of a high-energy team.
- Lead development, adoption and monitoring of annual budgets, working with CFO and GCF department heads.
- Monitor budget plans and actual results to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Develop, monitor, analyze, present, and interpret informative and useful financial reports to aid decision-making. Assess information needs of senior leaders and develop reports and analyses responsive to those needs.
- Support the CFO in engaging the Board’s Finance and Audit committees.
- Coordinate all audit activity and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Develop, implement and maintain effective financial/accounting policies, processes, and internal controls.
- Drive continual improvement of accounting practices and procedures to increase efficiency both within the Finance team and across the organization.
- Perform grant-related post-award functions, including expense allocations, budget and expense analysis, periodic invoicing, financial reporting, reconciliations, re-budgeting /budget modification, and grant closeout functions, as required.
- Support the Development team by developing budgets for grant proposals, and providing regular financial updates and analysis for grant reporting.
- Support the Social Enterprise team in developing projects budgets and pricing, in contract invoicing and reporting, and in providing regular financial updates and analysis.
- Oversee semi-monthly payroll processing and allocation of personnel costs to grants.
- Manage banking relationships and the company credit card, setting credit card limits in line with spending needs, and ensuring cards are used consistent with GCF policies.
- Spearhead the implementation, operation, and continued improvement of software packages to support finance activities, including staff time reporting and payroll processing.
- Supervise internal finance staff and accounting contractors. Leverage the strengths of finance team members and clarify roles and responsibilities. Support training to enhance staff skills and maximize staff potential.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communication with staff across the organization and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Passion for GCF’s mission, and personal qualities of integrity, collaboration, and collegiality.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Finance, Accounting, or related field, with 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience in and knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting preferred.
- Extremely knowledgeable in financial forecasting and financial data analysis.
- Proficiency with excel and spreadsheet design.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to interpret and explain financial concepts and information to non-experts at all levels of the organization. Keen analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills to provide strategic data interpretation.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that engages young adults who reside in New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) communities in national service and work experiences related to the environment. In doing so, we prepare them for sustainable careers, while serving to make public housing communities more sustainable and healthier, creating the green city we want to see. Green City Force’s large-scale service initiatives reach thousands of residents while creating a platform for our members to grow and lead. Through Farms at NYCHA, GCF teams build urban farms, grow and distribute over 20K pounds of organic produce in six public housing communities across the City. Love Where You Live has reached tens of thousands with sustainability education in homes. Since 2016, we have been expanding our social enterprise to create employment pathways for GCF graduates into good jobs in the clean energy sector. GCF’s EmPower team, entirely graduate-staffed and led, won a State-wide excellence in 2018 and GCF’s Illuminators are helping to retrofit NYCHA home by home. GCF graduates, who number over 500, are employed in leading companies in the clean energy and urban agriculture sectors. To learn more, please visit http://greencityforce.org/
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Green City Force is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
GCF is an Employer of National Service. We recognize the value of skills gained during national service and alumni of national service programs are encouraged to apply.