Are you passionate about working with young people? Are you looking to be part of a mission-driven organization committed to disrupting the cycle of poverty? If so, you might be the ideal candidate for the open Youth Developer- Social Worker position at Green City Force.
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that has been recognized nationally for our innovative workforce development and service model that positively impacts Opportunity Youth living in public housing, while supporting sustainability initiatives across the City.
The Youth Developer- Social Worker’s (YDSW) primary role is to provide psychosocial support to our Corps Members. The YDSW will provide a range of services, including individual counseling, group workshops, and psychoeducational seminars, to assist our members and alumni in developing skills to manage any psychosocial stressors that may arise as they work toward their goal of employment, education, and other personal achievements.
● Conduct individual counseling sessions with Corps Members, to provide psychosocial support and foster emotional wellness.
● Facilitate psychoeducational and supportive groups for Corps Members
● Utilize Multi-Disciplinary Team approach to case consultation in order to support team leaders in the implementation of best Youth Development Practices
● Perform crisis intervention (i.e. homelessness or domestic violence, suicidality, or child protective concerns), and connect Corps Members and Alumni with additional supports
● Refer Corps Members to external resources (e.g. clinical counseling, public benefits counseling, child care resources, etc.), implement a follow-up process as needed. Build partnerships and represent GCF to potential partners related to supportive services for corps and alumni
● Maintain progress notes on all contacts with Corps Members and alumni in case files; collect and complete all necessary documentation and reports related to program activities.
Experience and qualifications
● Master’s degree in Social Work
● Minimum of 2 years of experience providing case management
● Minimum of 1 year of clinical experience with young adults facing multiple psychosocial issues
● Passion for creating pathways out of poverty for urban young adults ages 18 – 24
● Models collaborative behavior within our team-based approach to supporting our members.
● Committed to holding all GCF Alumni and Corps Members to high expectations for personal success.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 2009, Green City Force’s (GCF) mission is to break the cycle of poverty, preparing urban young adults to succeed in their chosen careers by engaging them in service, training and work experiences related to the clean energy economy. GCF simultaneously addresses three imperatives –unemployment and the lack of prospects for family-supporting careers among low-income youth; changes to the urban environment that must be made to mitigate climate change; and stimulation of the green economy through awareness-raising and individual behavior change.
In 2013, GCF was named NYC's Most Innovative Nonprofit by Mayor Bloomberg and Executive Director and Founder Lisbeth Shepherd was recognized by the White House as one of five Champions for Change addressing youth unemployment. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as part of a dynamic team.
Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
Green City Force is an Employer of National Service. We recognize the unique skills of national service and alumni are encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION: Competitive rate