About The Organization
ReFED is a national nonprofit working to end food loss and waste across the food system by advancing data-driven solutions to the problem. ReFED leverages data and insights to highlight supply chain inefficiencies and economic opportunities; mobilizes and connects supporters to take targeted action; and catalyzes capital to spur innovation and scale high-impact initiatives.ng with the 2016 Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste, ReFED has developed a trusted history of producing first-of-their-kind tools and resources, providing a full-supply-chain picture of U.S. food waste, cost-effective solutions to reduce it, and methods to track progress. In February 2021, ReFED launched its new Roadmap to 2030 and Insights Engine, an online data center designed to serve as the next generation of data, insights, and guidance on U.S. food waste reduction. Solving this problem will have a significant impact on mitigating climate change, optimizing use of water, land, and other resources, and providing meals for the over 50 million people in the United States who currently face food insecurity.
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds to apply and encourage candidates of diverse gender, race, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, and more to consider joining our team. We believe that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has room for growth. The success of our organization is rooted in the visible and invisible qualities of our people. ReFED’s people embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the community in the hopes of building a better food system. Community is more than a word here.
ReFED's vision is a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food system that optimizes environmental resources, minimizes climate impacts, and makes the best use of the food we grow. Learn more at www.refed.com.
About The Position
ReFED is a medium-sized, non-profit organization with multi-state operations in the U.S. and a limited international presence (presently Canada, and interest in engagement in global food waste movements). We have modest growth goals over the next ~12 months and are seeking a highly skilled member to join a growing Development Team to support the fundraising and relationship-building needs to affirm the future of ReFED’s mission work.
ReFED’s Development Team is responsible for raising the resources needed to fund the operations of the organization, presently approximately $4.5-5 million per year. The formal Development operation is in its first year, and we are growing a team that is establishing the operation that will leverage the financial support needed for the next generation of growth and mission work of ReFED. This is the second full-time hire in the team and we will continue to grow in response to opportunities and organizational needs, including adding interns, contract staff, and other potential team members in the coming year. In short, you will be part of a “lean and mean” team committed to getting real work done.
The Senior Manager, working remotely and reporting to the national Director of Development, is expected to be able to work successfully toward fundraising and operational goals with minimal supervision. Meeting weekly and setting the course of action will be our practice, but you will be encouraged to be fully productive and accountable without daily supervisor contact. If you thrive in getting things done with minimal meetings to build greater nonprofit resources, this role may be ideal. This is a great opportunity for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and discerning individual who is passionate about organization-building for greater social and environmental impact.
You are a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about making a difference in the world, with personal interest and/or experience in food systems or agriculture.
- Are able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Are extraordinarily organized and skilled at managing many projects concurrently.
- Enjoy designing and deploying fundraising and relationship management processes for greater efficiencies, and balancing that with organizational needs and culture.
- Enjoy researching and writing.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and comfortable with the ambiguity of a newer organization.
- Are driven to tackle one of the biggest challenges facing society today―food loss and waste― and excited to positively impact food security, economic growth, and climate change.
You may have a mix of professional experience from roles such as:
- Development Manager, Associate, Assistant, or Coordinator
- Nonprofit Manager, or Program Associate or Assistant
- Direct Sales, Customer Service Representative or Account Manager
The Senior Manager position includes the following responsibilities as well as additional duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Manage individual giving program for ReFED, including full responsibility for online giving portals, and regular and special direct mail and web-based giving appeals (e.g., year-end appeals, special interest appeals, Giving Tuesday).
- Manage donor stewardship program, building a process for thanking donors and maintaining regular contact with donors.
- Assist the Director in identifying and leveraging high-dollar prospects within individual giving program; assist in developing moves management processes for donors.
- Secure sponsorships for ReFED programs, including roundtables and webinar events, Food Waste Funder Circle, and the annual Food Waste Solutions Summit.
- Assist in grant research and grant writing, including full responsibility for some four- and five-figure programmatic grants.
- Take leadership for developing and deploying regional donor stewardship events; attend events as practical and appropriate.
- Assist Director in managing the Board of Directors Development Committee and assist in member recruitment.
- Working with the Communications Team and Director, develop collateral materials and content for multiple uses and mediums, including direct donor engagement, media, and social media outreach about donors involved with ReFED.
- Working with the Operations Team, maintain grant budget reports.
- Manage regular grant reporting processes, including ensuring materials are maintained in permanent records of the organization.
Systems & Tools
- Ensure all fundraising and CRM systems, technology, and processes are highly reliable and all information therein is up-to-date.
- Identify gaps and implement solutions where processes and systems could be updated or made more efficient
- Coordinate training opportunities and support individual needs of staff related to training for CRM (Salesforce, currently).
- Manage ReFED LinkedIn page for donor relations.
- Provide support for funds developed for specific regranting by ReFED.
- Maintain records of all donor correspondence and communications.
- Maintain all grant records and assure compliance for grant reporting.
- Maintain prospect files and records, regularly researching and finding new opportunities.
- Maintain sponsorship processes and records, ensuring highly effective and well-resourced events.
- Maintain awareness of and conduct periodic research on activities of affiliated or collaborating organizations, as well as trends and opportunities in fund development.
- 6+ years of professional nonprofit and/or fundraising or sales experience.
- Experience running fundraising campaigns and fundraising events.
- Exceptional communications skills, both verbally and in writing; proven relationship manager with experience building and maintaining client relationships, and the ability to become a trusted partner to donors and volunteers.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills with an ability to apply those skills to one’s own work as well as in the service of others.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks or projects concurrently without losing sight of core objectives or the complexities of any single task.
- Experience and comfort with data entry and management, especially using independent CRM tools (e.g., Salesforce, Blackbaud products, Donor Perfect, etc.).
- Strong capabilities and demonstrated discretion in managing and maintaining confidential records and working with sensitive information.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Ability to communicate and align with internal and external stakeholders well in a remote working environment; preference given to candidates with experience with remote/virtual work environments.
- Proficiency with Google Suite (gmail, gcal, sheets, docs, slides, etc.), MS Office Suite, Slack, Salesforce, and a willingness and ability to learn new systems and tools. ReFED also uses Monday.com, Zoom, LastPass, Adobe, and other team- or project-specific platforms.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, and willingness to “roll up the sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities as needed for the work.
- Demonstrated success working to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and working with remote teams.
Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. It believes that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has room for growth. The success of the organization is rooted in the visible and invisible qualities of its people. Its people embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the community in the hopes of building a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food system. Community is more than a word here. As stewards of this food system that benefits from the inclusion and enhancement of diverse voices, ReFED recognizes that systemic barriers limit opportunities for certain groups which contributes to ongoing disparities. Furthermore, it accepts that its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) means a commitment to constant learning, listening, and interaction in all aspects of its work. Intrinsically, ReFED is an organization that seeks to attract exceptional and dedicated talent to advance its mission, and it firmly believes that inclusion through recruiting, hiring, developing, training, and promoting employees of all genders, races, religions, ages, national origins, political affiliations, ancestries, sexual orientations, disabilities, and veteran status, creates an atmosphere that enables it to lead with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovate with enterprise.
Working at ReFED
ReFED offers a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and policies and programs that encourage a healthy work-life balance. ReFED’s U.S. benefits package includes:
100% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits;
Participation in employer-sponsored 401(k) plans with up to 4% employer matching;
Professional development opportunities - including annual budget - and option to participate in ReFED’s mentor program;
18 paid vacation days;
Paid sick and family leave;
Approximately 12 paid company holidays annually - including closed offices the last week of the year;
Short- and long-term disability coverage and term life insurance; and
Flexible work environment with option to work from home or a co-working space.
Learn more about our values, team, and commitment to employees at refed.com/careers. Benefits for Canadian employees are available upon request.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé submitted in PDF format. Shawn Shepherd, Director of Development, is the hiring manager for this position and all correspondence should be addressed to Ms. Shepherd. Cover letters must be responsive to the needs of this position. Applications must be received by December 10, 2021 to be considered.