About The Organization
ReFED is a national nonprofit working to end food loss and waste across the food system by advancing data-driven solutions to the problem. ReFED leverages data and insights to highlight supply chain inefficiencies and economic opportunities; mobilizes and connects supporters to take targeted action; and catalyzes capital to spur innovation and scale high-impact initiatives.ng with the 2016 Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste, ReFED has developed a trusted history of producing first-of-their-kind tools and resources, providing a full-supply-chain picture of U.S. food waste, cost-effective solutions to reduce it, and methods to track progress. In February 2021, ReFED launched its new Roadmap to 2030 and Insights Engine, an online data center designed to serve as the next generation of data, insights, and guidance on U.S. food waste reduction. Solving this problem will have a significant impact on mitigating climate change, optimizing use of water, land, and other resources, and providing meals for the over 50 million people in the United States who currently face food insecurity.
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds to apply and encourage candidates of diverse gender, race, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, and more to consider joining our team. We believe that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has room for growth. The success of our organization is rooted in the visible and invisible qualities of our people. ReFED’s people embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the community in the hopes of building a better food system. Community is more than a word here.
ReFED's vision is a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food system that optimizes environmental resources, minimizes climate impacts, and makes the best use of the food we grow. Learn more at www.refed.com.
About The Position
ReFED is a medium-sized, non-profit organization with multi-state operations in the U.S. and a limited international presence (presently Canada). We have modest growth goals over the next ~12 months and are seeking a highly adept team member to join the Operations Team to support this continued organizational development. ReFED’s external operational supports also include a PEO, HR, legal, tax, and accounting service providers.
The Operations & Administrative Manager, working remotely and reporting to the Operations Director, will be a dual position, serving approximately 50% in operations functions and approximately 50% in administrative functions to the organization's Leadership Team of six when fully staffed. The Operations component of the role will include distinct ownership and support components - with opportunities to own employee engagement programs and systems and tools, while supporting finance and other aspects of human resources.
This is an ideal opportunity for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and discerning individual who is passionate about organization-building for greater social and environmental impact. The Operations & Administrative Manager will have a keen ability to balance demands - be that with managing workload appropriately or the needs and desires of stakeholders involved in various projects and tasks.
You are a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about organization building.
- Are extraordinarily organized.
- Enjoy administrative work.
- Enjoy designing and deploying processes, exploring opportunities for greater efficiencies, and balancing that with organizational needs and culture.
- Can comfortably move between different tasks, functional domains, or projects with poise.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple tasks.
- Are driven to tackle one of the biggest challenges facing society today and excited to positively impact food security, economic growth, and climate change.
- Hate wasting food.
You may have a mix of professional experience from roles such as:
- Operations Manager, Associate, or Coordinator
- Executive Assistant
- Operations, HR, or Finance Generalist
Operations & Administrative Manager position includes the following responsibilities as well as those duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Systems & Tools
- Ensure all organizational systems, technology, and processes are highly reliable and up-to-date.
- Identify gaps and implement solutions where processes and systems could be updated or made more efficient.
- Ensure all staff are fully trained on the capabilities and use cases of available systems and tools. Provide training opportunities and support individual needs of staff related to training.
Employee Engagement & Human Resources
- Develop new employee engagement programs that build team culture, and support resourcing needs, professional development or other areas of need and opportunity.
- Support hiring processes including development of job descriptions, job postings, manage incoming applications, development of interview guides, participate on or support hiring teams and more.
- Support the planning and coordination of team retreats.
- Conduct monthly financial management activities, including document aggregation, AP, AR, and financial reporting.
- Support information gathering for the annual audit and tax returns
- Develop financial reports for specific programs, projects, and grants.
- Assist staff in managing contractual relationships by advising on time tracking practices, tools and expense documentation.
- Provide administrative support to the six-person Leadership Team, including but not limited to:
- Calendar management
- Document management
- Expense management
- Office management
- Minor website updates (e.g., copy/text updates, logo files)
- Data entry, aggregation, and maintenance (e.g., web analytics, webinar attendance)
- Inbox management
2. Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors, including scheduling, note taking, and document management.
3. Support general document development, including contracts and other standard documents.
4. Ensure timely and accurate filing of all organizational information returns.
- 6+ years of professional administrative and/or operations experience, preference for experience with remote/virtual work environments.
- Exceptionally detail-oriented with strong organizational skills with an ability to apply those skills to one’s own work as well as in the service of others.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks or projects concurrently without losing sight of core objectives or the complexities of any single task.
- Experience and comfort with data entry and management.
- Familiarity with financial management concepts. Experience with AP/AR systems and accounting software (Quickbooks and/or Quickbooks Online, bill.com strongly preferred).
- Experience with general HR practices including hiring, performance management, professional development, and organizational culture.
- Strong capabilities and demonstrated discretion in managing and maintaining confidential records and working with sensitive information.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Exceptional professional written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to communicate and align with internal and external stakeholders well in a remote working environment.
- Proficiency with Google Suite (gmail, gcal, sheets, docs, slides, etc.), MS Office Suite, Slack, Salesforce, and a willingness and ability to learn new systems and tools. ReFED also uses Monday.com, Zoom, LastPass, Adobe, and other team- or project-specific platforms.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, and willingness to “roll up the sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities as needed for the work.
- Demonstrated success working to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and working with remote teams.
Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. It believes that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has room for growth. The success of the organization is rooted in the visible and invisible qualities of its people. Its people embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the community in the hopes of building a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food system. Community is more than a word here. As stewards of this food system that benefits from the inclusion and enhancement of diverse voices, ReFED recognizes that systemic barriers limit opportunities for certain groups which contributes to ongoing disparities. Furthermore, it accepts that its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) means a commitment to constant learning, listening, and interaction in all aspects of its work. Intrinsically, ReFED is an organization that seeks to attract exceptional and dedicated talent to advance its mission, and it firmly believes that inclusion through recruiting, hiring, developing, training, and promoting employees of all genders, races, religions, ages, national origins, political affiliations, ancestries, sexual orientations, disabilities, and veteran status, creates an atmosphere that enables it to lead with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovate with enterprise.
Working at ReFED
ReFED offers a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and policies and programs that encourage a healthy work-life balance. ReFED’s U.S. benefits package includes:
- 100% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Participation in employer-sponsored 401(k) plans with up to 4% employer matching;
- Professional development opportunities - including annual budget - and option to participate in ReFED’s mentor program;
- 18 paid vacation days;
- Paid sick and family leave;
- Approximately 12 paid company holidays annually - including closed offices the last week of the year;
- Short- and long-term disability coverage and term life insurance; and
- Flexible work environment with option to work from home or a co-working space.
Learn more about our values, team, and commitment to employees at refed.com/careers. Benefits for Canadian employees are available upon request.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé submitted in PDF format. Katy Franklin is the hiring manager for this position and all correspondence should be addressed to Ms. Franklin. Cover letters must be responsive to the needs of this position. Applications must be received by November 30, 2021 to be considered. To nominate a candidate, please contact Katy Franklin, Operations Director at email@example.com.