Medacta® is an international orthopaedics company specializing in the design and production of innovative orthopaedic products and the development of accompanying surgical techniques. Established in 1999 in Switzerland, Medacta’s products and surgical techniques are characterized by innovation. Medacta is a pioneer in developing new offerings on the basis of the minimally invasive surgical techniques, in particular its Anterior Minimally Invasive Surgery (AMIS®) technique for hip replacements. Medacta has leveraged its orthopaedic expertise and comprehensive understanding of the human body to develop the sophisticated MySolutions technology, which offers surgeons highly personalized pre-operative planning and implant placement methodologies by creating advanced personalized kinematic models and 3D planning tools for use in hip, knee, shoulder and spine procedures.
The Director of Enabling Technologies – Spine is responsible for providing a broad range of spine strategy, research and development, marketing, and product management services in accordance with the goals of the company. The Enabling Technologies portfolio is defined as Medacta’s unique and proprietary technologies, products, and services that provide a “value add” to Medacta customers (spine surgeons and sales agents) and the broader USA spine market. This include, but is not limited to, Medacta technologies (patient-specific devices, pre-operative planning software, augmented reality navigation, biomaterial coatings, 3D printing technologies), Medacta products (MySpine PSDGs, MySolutions Web Portal, NextAR Navigation, MySpine Efficiency, and new product development or research and development projects), and services (MySolutions, MyInstruments, etc.).
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Strong collaboration and team building skills.
· Demonstrated leadership qualities.
· Proactive self-starter.
· Operating room experience.
· Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Biomechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering degree.
5+ Years of experience in the spine or orthopedic industry strongly preferred.
Required Skills and Abilities:
· PC/Microsoft Office software suite, Mac/iOS, general office equipment, orthopedic instruments, automobile, smart phone and mobile apps.
· Problem Solving/Decision Making - Independent, proactive judgment is employed in problem prevention/solving relating to product development, customers, sales policy, strategy and procedures. Considerable discretion and judgment are exercised in decision making involving sales policies and procedures.
· Extent of Confidential Information - Highly confidential information regarding technology, revenues, budgets, pricing, sales and marketing strategies, customers, customer preferences, market development, and product development.
External: Surgeons, Nurses, PAs, Allied Health Professionals, Hospital / ASC Administrators, Economic Buyers, Industry Society Officers/Staff. Internal: Sales Personnel, Marketing, Customer Service, Medical Education, Clinical Research, Finance, Compliance, Quality, Regulatory, Human Resources, and Medacta International Personnel.
Travel requirements: Travel of up to 50% may be required, domestic and international (Western Europe).
- Demonstrate exceptional clinical, procedural, technical, and product expertise such that the Director of Enabling Technologies - Spine becomes knows as the technical resource for all technology support and industry conferences.
- Provide thorough and timely assessments and updates to appropriate management levels to ensure efficient communication and seamless cross functional collaboration.
- Collaborate with Global Director of R&D – Spine on all research and development events, projects, activities, and MyInstruments for Medacta USA Spine. Act as a liaison to Medacta International with the broader USA spine market and Medacta USA Spine surgeons.
- Develop a long-term product, technology, and service roadmap for Medacta USA Spine, and collaborate with Medacta International and Global VP of R&D – Spine to execute roadmap.
- Collaborate with VP of MORE Institute and General Manager – Spine on KOL identification, KOL development, and medical education strategy for all medical education of enabling technologies, products, and services.
- Establish relationships with KOLs, key customers to drive collaboration, innovation, and customer engagement in research and development activities, medical education events, industry conferences, and Medacta-specific events.
- Coordinate with Product Director – Spine and Medacta Academy to support all Limited Market Releases of enabling technologies, products, and services with sales/product trainings and case coverage in the operating room.
- Drive cross-departmental collaboration with appropriate departments to ensure alignment within the broader platform of Enabling Technologies for the purpose of achieving the desired financial goals set forth by the Company.
o Marketing and Product Management – collaborate with Product Director – Spine, VP of Sales – Spine, Director of Business Development and Marketing – NextAR, and Medacta USA marketing department to ensure alignment of branding and marketing messages of the Enabling Technologies portfolio, and support the creation of marketing and product deliverables for Medacta USA customers
o National Accounts – develop comprehensive hospital approval strategy of enabling technologies, products, and services and represent Medacta USA Spine as the technical expert with all GPO/IDN/hospital approvals
o Medacta Academy – develop the sales training and education pathway of enabling technologies, products, and services to ensure Medacta USA Spine sales agents are appropriately trained
o Operations – collaborate with Senior Spine Operations Analyst and VP of Sales – Spine to ensure alignment between operational protocols/metrics and user needs of Medacta USA sales agents and customers
Performs other related duties as assigned by General Manager – Spine.
Industry Conferences, International Congresses, Domestic and International Company Meetings, participate in select product management activities. Other duties may be assigned at Medacta USA’s discretion.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.