The Director Product Development – Hip Arthroplasty will support Medacta USA in product development activities relating to hip arthroplasty implant systems. Primary responsibilities include working with surgeons involved in product development and product evaluation, managing US product development activities and partnering with Medacta International’s product development teams based in Switzerland. Inherent in this role is the responsibility to resolve instrument and implant issues that may arise within hip arthroplasty product lines. Key deliverables for this position include achievement of business plan projections; proactive involvement and communication with Medacta International; and interfacing with key stakeholders. Success in this role will be measured by the ability to manage and meet expectations for surgeon participation, product development schedules, budgets, and customer and sales force expectations. Position located at the Medacta USA headquarters in Franklin, TN.
· Minimum Educational Requirements - Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Biomechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering degree.
· Minimum Experience Requirements - A minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering and product development activities relating to implants and instruments for hip arthroplasty. International work experience a plus.
· Minimum Skill Requirements - Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong collaboration and team building skills. Demonstrated leadership qualities. Proactive self-starter. Operating room experience. Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
· Equipment or Machines Used - PC/Microsoft Office software suite, Mac/iOS, general office equipment, orthopedic instruments, automobile, smart phone and mobile apps.
· Problem Solving/Decision Making - Independent, proactive judgment is employed in problem prevention/solving relating to product development, customers, sales policy, strategy and procedures. Considerable discretion and judgment are exercised in decision making involving sales policies and procedures.
· Extent of Confidential Information - Highly confidential information regarding technology, revenues, budgets, pricing, sales and marketing strategies, customers, customer preferences, market development, and product development.
Interpersonal Contacts - External: Surgeons, Nurses, PAs, Allied Health Professionals, Hospital / ASC Administrators, Economic Buyers, Industry Society Officers/Staff. Internal: Sales Personnel, Marketing, Customer Service, Medical Education, Clinical Research, Finance, Compliance, Quality, Regulatory, Human Resources, and Medacta International Personnel.
- Working knowledge of hip anatomy and generally available implant systems for hip arthroplasty. The ability to describe, debate and envision surgical procedures relating to hip arthroplasty.
- Participate in the product development process in defining and clarifying customer needs and design requirements. Document findings in formal reports.
- Facilitate interaction amongst internationally based product development teams and US surgeon design teams. Summarize discussions, issues and decisions coming out of product development meetings and events in written reports.
- Plan, organize and implement product development cadaver labs.
- Identify and facilitate continuation engineering projects in support of continuous improvement of Medacta’s hip arthroplasty products.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with hip arthroplasty Healthcare Professionals (“HCP’s”).
- Support Sales & Marketing in defining and developing sales collateral materials and communication tools.
- Support Sales & Marketing with in-depth product knowledge and ensure sales representatives, agents/Area Director’s and HCP’s are properly informed on Medacta hip arthroplasty products.
- Support Medical Education & Events in surgeon and sales representative education and training events, Learning Centers and labs.
- Assist in maintaining existing physician consultant relationships and identify well-qualified key opinion leaders for product development activities and training and educational responsibilities.
- Provide technical product support to customer service, sales force and surgeons.
- Assist operations group in the development and maintenance of hip product planning and forecasting as it relates to the U.S. market for new and established products. This includes new product rollout and product sample organization.
- Research, analyze and remain informed about competitive products. Prepare competitive reviews and create sales aids to assist sales force.
- Work with senior management to ensure the identification, use and administration of physician consultant services for each event and meet all compliance requirements.
- Assist in educating sales force with regulatory and compliance initiatives.
- Assist clinical research team with monitoring multiple hip arthroplasty clinical studies.
- Manage and maintain hip arthroplasty product development budget.
- Prepare and sponsor hip arthroplasty related Needs Assessment and Healthcare Professional Nomination documents and budgets.
- Travel of up to 50% may be required, domestic and international (Western Europe).
Industry Conferences, International Congresses, Domestic and International Company Meetings, participate in select product management activities. Other duties may be assigned at Medacta USA’s discretion.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.