The mission of POTS is to be a loving community in the Bronx that nourishes the basic needs and hungers of all who come to its door. Helping low-income families and individuals since 1982, Part of the Solution (POTS) has grown to become a leading provider of emergency food, legal representation and social services in the Bronx. POTS’ unique “one-stop shop” model of interrelated programming has been designed to carry out its vision of helping low-income individuals and families move from crisis to stability and ultimately self-sufficiency. Last year, POTS’ work has touched the lives of more than 30,000 people, including 8,000 children.
The dignity & wellness programs provide essentials of daily living to community members on their pathways to stability. Dignity & wellness program offerings include a secure mailing address for important correspondence, shower facilities for proper hygiene, and a barbershop for haircuts. In addition, POTS dignity & wellness services staff and volunteers work closely with the onsite medical and dental clinic to connect clients to essential health services.
About the position
The Dignity & Wellness Coordinator oversees the efficient and orderly operation of the shower, mail room, and haircut services while going the extra mile to connect clients to a diverse range of internal and external services they need. This includes supervising the Dignity & Wellness Associate, program volunteers, and interns; ensuring that all services in the Dignity & Wellness Program have the resources necessary and that the services are run in a fair and orderly fashion; ensuring that mail is sorted and distributed to clients, showers are offered, and a qualified barber/stylist is available to complete haircuts. Finally, the Dignity & Wellness Coordinator is also responsible for and ensuring that all data regarding the Dignity & Wellness services are properly entered into the POTS database; and helping to ensure that clients served by the Dignity & Wellness have completed intake, assessment and screening for benefits programs and that this data is kept up to date
- Direct client service: The Dignity & Wellness Coordinator is responsible for providing client access to the shower, mail room and haircut services between 8:00 and 4:00 each day according to POTS policies and best practices.
- Connecting clients to other services: Ensure that all clients are presented with connections to appropriate programs and services to assist with their journeys from crisis to stability and ultimately self-sufficiency.
- Program management and oversight: The Dignity & Wellness Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that volunteers and interns are appropriately on-boarded and trained, the facility remains a dignified environment, and supplies and donated goods are managed, stored and distributed appropriately and that the program maintains its connections to POTS as a whole.
- Intermediate Spanish
- Ability to communicate effectively and provide excellent customer service
- Associate’s Degree plus relevant experience in a Social Services agency
- Cultural competence and sensitivity to relate professionally with clients
- Ability to prioritize
- Highly attentive to detail and organized
- Comfort with MS Office, especially Outlook, Excel and Word
- Experience with data entry and data management
- Dedication to the mission, vision and values of POTS
- Managerial experience
- Experience assisting economically disadvantaged populations
- Experience assisting homeless and/or mentally-ill persons
- Proficient Spanish
- Client interview or case management experience
- Experience with Salesforce