Job Title: DMT Regional Coordinator
Location: Orlando, FL
This position coordinates the disaster preparedness, response and recovery work of Islamic Relief USA in the region, and participates as a member of the national Disaster Response Team. The coordinator is responsible for developing and maintaining relations within the community and he/she ensures IRUSA and its qualified volunteers are engaged in the full disaster response cycle.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Serves as the IRUSA representative to designated regional disaster coordination mechanisms, such as state VOADs, and shares regular written reports on their activities with headquarters.
· Monitors disasters and emergencies within the region and shares timely and informative written reports with headquarters, including the current and projected status of the event and partner and VOAD engagement.
· Prepares formal Situation Reports for disasters and emergencies when IRUSA is engaged or when IRUSA action is recommended, including the proposed IRUSA disaster level and recommended engagement.
· Prepares periodic reports on preparedness activities, preparedness assessments, volunteer training and mobilization, and regional activities.
· Trains and mobilizes volunteers and community leaders to engage with IRUSA in disaster preparedness, response and recovery; demonstrates responsiveness to their needs and expectations.
· Maintains excellent communication and coordination with government entities, peer organizations and others engaged in the field of emergency services, operations and community preparedness.
· Coordinates closely with the other members of the IRUSA Disaster Response Team.
· Develops and proposes strategies for engaging IRUSA constituencies in preparedness activities, in coordination with the IRUSA Community Outreach office and DRT headquarters.
· Provides training to mosques and other community groups on disaster preparedness; supports their development of formal preparedness and response plans.
· Recruits, trains and develops volunteers so that they have the capacity to respond to disasters and emergencies.
· Oversees the work and performance of volunteers working with the Disaster Response Team, both within the region and in other locations where deployed.
· Coordinates closely with the IRUSA Volunteer Management office.
· Performs needs assessments to inform decision-making about IRUSA involvement.
· Executes a comprehensive regional response when required.
· In most circumstances, serves as the primary operational leader in the region for disasters and emergencies of all scales.
· Joins response and recovery operations in other regions as leader or team member as requested.
· Provides monitoring and evaluation of DRT programs and initiatives in the region.
· Fulfill IRUSA administrative requirements, including submission of reports, forms, and other records.
· Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Minimum of 1 year experience working in disaster services or related discipline strongly preferred, or willingness and demonstrated ability to quickly master new knowledge and skills.
· Experienced in managing diverse teams in the field.
· Must possess effective interpersonal and oral communications skills.
· Effective written communications skills should include significant exposure to generating reports and narratives.
· Must exhibit analytical and strong problem solving skills.
· Ability to self-manage multiple priorities.
· Proven ability to exhibit cultural competence and sensitivity in working with a wide array of ethnicities, and history of maintaining relationships with these same communities.
· Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and use of databases.
· Ability to travel minimum 30% of the time and be deployed for up to 3 months in the event of a disaster.
· Must be eligible to work in the United States.
At Islamic Relief USA we are committed to safeguarding and protecting all individuals we come into contact with through our work. IRUSA representatives must adhere to its organizational values: Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice, and Custodianship. In accordance with these values, IRUSA operates and enforces policies on Safeguarding, Code of Ethics, and Anti-Harassment and Discrimination.