Job Title: International Program Specialist- GIK
Location: Alexandria, VA
International Program Specialist supports the Assistant Director of International Programs in managing the Gifts-In-Kind portfolio and grants management around the globe. The Specialist will provide critical support in identification of new Gifts-in-Kind donors, cultivation and strengthening of partnerships, creation and maintenance of a GIK donors’ database, and conducting valuation of pharmaceuticals. This position also works closely with the International Programs Team to review the grants, concept notes, proposals, reports and provide support in data collection and Monitoring and Evaluation of the projects. The position reports to the Assistant Director of International Programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a deep knowledge of the international humanitarian standards.
- Applies conflict-sensitivity and/or emergency relief standards respectively in conflict, post-conflict zones and in regions prone to disasters to guide reviews and recommendations for the GIK and grants portfolio.
- Identify new potential GIK donors and maintain relationships with them.
- Assist in developing recommendations for prospective GIK projects, with documented rationale, and include on comprehensive project summaries.
- Maintain good relationships with IRW field offices with clarity and tact, and an astute understanding of cultural and political nuance.
- Document communication with GIK donors so that a record is maintained of challenges, contributions and commitments on each side of the relationships.
- Solicit the lists of items available for donation from GIK donors and communicate it to GIK internal stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain a list of GIK donors categorized by types of donations, geographic locations, average shelf life of products, and the associated administrative and handling fees.
- Establish and maintain a list of GIK recipient countries categorized by types of donations needed, and minimum required shelf life of donations.
- Conduct a quality review and cost-benefit analysis of available items for donation.
- Prepare the GIK, emergency and development projects summaries for the Project Approval Committee, and respond to PAC inquiries as needed.
- Draft the Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) between IRUSA and donors for GIK donations and other emergency and development projects and see to its completion with internal and external stakeholders
- Provides support to maintain and improve record-keeping and data management for the assigned portfolio and International Programs overall.
- Communicating with management and leaders on status of projects, through presentations, maintaining tracking sheets, and keeping internal databases up to date.
- Liaises with grantees for inquiries on progress reports and problem resolution.
- Coordinate with the donor agencies and shipping company to ensure the pre and post shipment inspections are conducted by a third party company.
- Provide final documents of shipment to the recipient parties (packing lists, bills of lading, pre shipment inspection survey, donation letter, commercial invoices, and certificates of quality analysis of medicines, and etc.)
- Conduct valuation of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies using the latest IQVIA (IMS Health) database.
- Verify that all donated items are needed in recipient countries and are within expiry dates meeting recipient requirements.
- Obtain the pre and post shipment inspection survey reports from GIK donors or the third party company that conducts the inspection.
- Coordinate with the donor agencies to ensure the export certificates and other compliance certificates are obtained.
- Keep abreast of new trends and conditions for receiving donated pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.
- Provide the valuation data and GIK reach and results to Finance, Communication and Marketing Departments.
- Providing timely responses to external auditors for verification of GIK annual data.
- Prepare reports on GIK donors mapping and future trends and conditions.
- Coordinate with Communication and Marketing Departments to write articles about the impact of GIK projects, update IRUSA website and blogs and publish pictures and videos.
- Represents IRUSA in relevant specialized forums, seminars, conferences, panels, and shares information on IRUSA programs to raise the profile of the organization, and synthesizes critical issues and discussions of promising practices for IRUSA.
- Participates in the sectoral working groups and forums, and monitors current events to stay well informed about trends and developments in the regions.
- Initiates and leads efforts among the team to fulfill any additional tasks and responsibilities, especially in response to information requests from key stakeholders
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, or equivalent combination of education with certification in pharmacy technician
- At least 3 years of experience in marketing in the pharma /medical sector or in managing a gifts-in-kind program or supply chain logistics or managing health projects (or equivalent administrative experience).
- Technical knowledge of appropriate medical interventions in a humanitarian or development context and the standards governing such programs, or the ability to quickly master this knowledge.
- Technical knowledge of conducting valuation of pharmaceuticals is highly preferred.
- Appreciation for the dynamics and challenges of collaboration and ability to effectively manage cohesive collaborative relationships.
- Fluency in English, with the ability to convey ideas and concepts in multiple ways for different audiences in both speaking and writing.
- Ability to absorb large amounts of information and complex issues and synthesize the critical elements with clarity and simplicity.
- Proven record of accomplishment of producing excellent program reports.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to write reports with a high degree of accuracy and credibility.
- Excellent knowledge of office software, including spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
At Islamic Relief USA we are committed to safeguarding and protecting all individuals we come into contact with through our work. IRUSA representatives must adhere to its organizational values: Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice, and Custodianship. In accordance with these values, IRUSA operates and enforces policies on Safeguarding, Code of Ethics, and Anti-Harassment and Discrimination.