Job Title: Compliance Manager
Location: Alexandria, VA
Islamic Relief USA is seeking a Compliance Manager at its headquarters just outside of Washington, DC in Alexandria, Virginia. The Compliance Manager will assist the General Counsel in providing guidance to senior management and various departments in order to strengthen compliance internally for the organization and promote its continued compliance with applicable laws and regulations. This position offers flexible work options and a dynamic list of responsibilities.
The position is responsible for facilitating the establishment of corporate policies and procedures, including providing support to division management and staff in researching, drafting, developing, reviewing and editing organizational policies and compliance-based documentation. The position serves as a focal point for internal, procedural compliance development and as the Legal Department liaison to internal divisions regarding best practice standards in non-profit management. The candidate must show the commitment to IRUSA’s faith inspired values and principles as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a working knowledge of and conduct legal research into current US sanctions under the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control and the US Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security.
- Stay current on relevant industry and government compliance program guidance, investigations, and audit; stay abreast of and provides updates regarding changes in legislation, regulations and other requirements that may result in organizational response.
- Perform and document internal investigations in accordance with applicable legal requirements and organizational policies and procedures, documenting findings and overseeing completion of corrective action plans.
- Serve as the subject matter expert on sanctions compliance and respond to questions, concerns, and provide guidance to other departments.
- Coordinate implementation of overall organization policies and Code of Conduct.
- Consult and provide guidance on a regular basis on related issues with operations directors and managers to ensure conformance with applicable laws and policies.
- Perform periodic reviews, audits, and revisions of the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Conduct periodic organization-wide trainings on compliance issues and new/updated policies.
- In partnership with the Legal Department, serve as a subject matter resource and provide consultation services regarding the application and implementation of current regulatory requirements and organizational policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by General Counsel.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required).
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in compliance, with an emphasis in sanctions issues; international experience a plus.
- Legal background preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of research and analysis methods, particularly with respect to compliance issues.
- Ability to quickly assimilate oral and written data, analyze facts and draw logical conclusions with a strong attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to communicate skillfully with diplomacy and tact.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to perform duties with deliberate speed and accuracy without immediate supervision.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to interact with culturally diverse staff.
- Proven ability to exhibit cultural competence and sensitivity to work with a wide array of ethnicities both internally and external to the organization.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in a second language preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Islamic Relief strives to alleviate poverty and suffering wherever it is found, paying no heed to gender, race or creed. With permanent locations in over 35 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, Islamic Relief provides emergency disaster relief when it is needed, and spearheads development projects in multiple sectors, including education, income generation, orphan support, health and nutrition, and water and sanitation.
Islamic Relief USA is a mission-driven organization with a collegial atmosphere and excellent benefits. The Compliance Team consists of a small and friendly team of professionals and is seeking an energetic candidate that is passionate about IRUSA’s mission of working together for a better world.
Islamic Relief USA is committed to taking a zero tolerance approach, which means acting on every allegation in line with agreed procedures. IRUSA representatives must adhere to the organizational values: Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice, and Custodianship. In accordance with these values, IRUSA operates and enforces policies on Safeguarding, Code of Conduct, and Anti-Harassment and Discrimination.